My chopper build

Ya i know the welds do need some work and some cleaning. We are gona clean all that up soon.

We know we are doing, my friend travis has built like 100 minis and go karts so he knows what hes doin, i do too, but i have only built 1 bike before.

Thanks

Liam

its a start. you should try and notch your tubing in better atleast a little bit. makes welding them up alot easier and cleaner. this is the first bike i built from scratch perhaps itll give you ideas/ inspiration :)

Yes very good start. And like jeep said, Notch the tubing. It will look better. Not only that it will be a million times stronger becuase you can get much more weld on. Other then that it looks great buddy. You can use a regular angle grinder to notch the tubing. It will be a good frame when it is done.

Looks pretty good. You might want to mount the engine far enough forward to leave room for a jackshaft, just in case. If you use a really wide tire on the rear, you may need the jackshaft to run the chain to the rear without having to offset the engine a lot. If you get an angled flap disc for your angle grinder,you can blend those welds in, and never see them. Any joint that you wonder about the strength, you can add some gussets about 2" by 2" , made from 3/16 flat bar or plate. :thumbsup: I also like that you discovered you could build it without a bender.

Last edited:
THanks Jim!!

Were gettin there, we havea 4hp tec were gona use.

we were just gona run a chain from clutch to wheel without jackshaft.

I got a question for you or anyone. How do we determine what size wheel we can use?? we want a bigger one but not huge. We were looking ag ATV wheels at tractor supply and, How would we magange to weld back sprocket to a wheel???

Like hayden said, you could run a live axle. Mount some 3/4" pillow block bearings to the rear of the frame. Then get a 3/4" shaft with a keyway for the axle. Then you could use a riding mower 8" rear wheel. Most of them have key ways. Find a sprocket with a keyed 3/4 bore at Tractor Supply or somewhere. The axle will have to be drilled and threads tapped in the ends to keep it in, or long enough for collars on the end, outside the bearings. If you want, you could also use that sprocket for a brake, with a go kart or pocket bike brake caliper. With the live axle set up like this, you won't have to weld the sprocket to the wheel and it will run true.

Last edited:
Boy am I being nice today ,,pic of pillow block
Live axle is one that rotates with the wheel ,, Most minis use a bolt or axle that is fixed with a nut on one or both sides so it does NOT rotate , The Idea Jim has is a good one and less money than what you would buy off ebay or one of the Mini Chopper sites ,,

Last edited:
Sweeeeet...can't wait to see what parts you put on it.

If I can make a suggestion...since you're not sure what wheels and engine you'll be using, just tack the frame together for now...that way, if you need to alter it slightly to make a part fit, it'll come apart easier.

Nice build. I am watching with interest, because I want to build a frame for my next project. I have repaired 2 frames, and now I am goin to make the leap. To do the repairs, I attached the axles to a solid, flat board. This allows me to make a centerline and keep the axles reasonably paralell by measuring the centers from side to side. I drill holes in a wood block about the size of the axle, then saw through the center of the hole. I put the axle between the halves and screw it to the board. I hope you do well, cuz I want to learn from your build.