My Dirt Bug as it is, stock...

Hello Gentlemen!

Short time lurker, even shorter time member here at OldMiniBikes. However, I have spent most of my free time the past two weeks searching page after page in the Doodlebug and Honda/Clone/Predator engines forums.

Man, there's some good stuff in there!

Anyway, I am new to minibikes, but not to being a gearhead. I earn a living as a Multicraft Repair Technician in a steel stamping facility. This funds my cars and trucks.

I finally found the need to scratch the minibike itch. I have been wanting one for around 30 years, but have never quite gotten one.

Last Saturday, I found a yellow Dirt Bug on craigslist. As soon as I got off work Saturday morning, I drove over an hour to get it. It took some doing, but I got it to fit in the back of my Explorer.

Usual craigslist experience. Paid too much ($220), PO stated it was in good condition, ended up being more raggedy than I expected. I'm still quite happy with it, though.

Surprisingly, it ran, though rough. I did drain the sludge out of the crankcase and refilled it with 10W-30.

Right now, I just wanted to get it running as is, stock, while I order parts.

I removed and and cleaned:
carburetor and air filter assembly
brake caliper and pads
fuel tank and all external engine shrouds
clutch and chain

I pressure washed most of the crud off the bike.

Tonight, I got it all back together, with a new plug and fresh gas.
The little 97CC engine doesn't run too bad.

However, the engine is woefully underpowered and the frame is woefully underbraked. With my big over 300lbs rear on it, this Dirt Bug should be called 'Death Bug.'

I am now ordering parts for the build up. See my other thread titled:
My Dirt Bug as it should be, modded...

Plastic and straps keep it safe.

I bought this on the way to buy the Dirt Bug.

Not in horrible condition, but dirty.

Pitiful 2.8hp in the minibike, 7hp it needs next to the minibike.

Chain was a mess and clutch was not too far from coming off.

Brake looks useable, though the return spring is missing.

Carb was surprisingly clean inside.

Some of the parts cleaned.

After pressure washing.

Got it back together and running.

If you take the governor off, that little motor should rev 8500 rpm... I did it with one until the oil cap cap popped off and it seized. Then broke the crank loose with a pipe wrench and fired it back up. Tough little motors.

When you take it out, hook it up to a one wire high amp 12v alternator for a battery charger, jumpstarter. Wish I still had one to do that with.

Hello Stangrcr1!

I saw your thread where you attempted to kill a 97cc Doodlebug engine. A little disappointed there was no carnage. :wink:

I am definitely keeping this engine, though I'm not exactly sure what I will do with it. It will probably get fogged, wrapped in a trash bag, then put in storage.

Good idea for the one wire alternator. I am building something similar using a B&S 7hp Intek, Delco CS-144 alternator, L&G battery, Harbor Freight 2000 watt inverter, and a pressure washer cart.

Thanks!

Well...last night I told myself that I was done riding my Dirt Bug in its stock form. I was going to leave it alone until all the parts arrived.

Today, my wife was down at the other house, tearing up my wheeled string trimmer. She asked for my help. For giggles, I took the Dirt Bug.

WHEEEEEEEE!!!

I rode it down the road to the house. The tiny engine and clutch were not happy with me, but it pulled. :scooter:

The look on my wife's face was priceless... :thumbsup:

This morning, I am supposed to be installing the fuel tank and new fuel pump in my wife's Mustang.

Instead, I took my Dirt Bug for a ride.

This is all wrong.
It is designed for an under 150lbs kid. The engine is underpowered, the clutch is tiny, and the brake is vague. I am a 330lbs bear of a man who has not ridden a motorcycle in 10 years, and never ridden a minibike.

I have no business being on my Dirt Bug.

So why do I have a sh*t-eating grin on my face that you couldn't knock off with a brick? :biggrin:

I scooted down the road to the gravel lot next door. Round and round I went, each time getting a little faster and more confident. I actually got up a little speed, and the engine didn't seem as unhappy. Granted, at low speeds everything, including me, was shaking something fierce.

Can you say clutch slip?

Well, the clutch is going away anyway, so might as well enjoy it and get some practice.

On the was back to the house, I got passed by the late model Corvette of one of the local redneck royalty.

I laughed! Any prick can buy a Corvette. It takes a special kind of goofball to ride a minibike...

:thumbsup:

Glad your having fun with it. I weigh approx 180 and have my 97cc singing, but at 330 probably not going to work for you. So, I will stop right here. Anyway, I love the 97cc, works for me. :thumbsup:

Hello chazdaddy and kneemus!
Thanks for replying!

I am very much enjoying my Dirt Bug! However, I don't think you understand my intentions. I am completely aware that I am entirely too big for this minibike. I never seriously expected it to carry me.

I already have a plan in place to mod this minibike. Please see my companion thread:

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/doodlebug-minibikes/90917-my-dirt-bug-should-modded.html

I am riding my Dirt Bug stock right now just for giggles. As soon as all the parts arrive, the upgrades will start!

Kneemus, I thought about the jackshaft setup, but decided that the Comet TAV2 was better suited to my needs.

Thanks!

Well, after a couple of weeks of gathering parts, and a few more practice rides, this thread can officially close.

I have all the parts I need to modify my Dirt Bug. So, the build has begun!

This is how my Dirt Bug now sits...

It will be much better when I am done.

Oh yeah...

I am continuing in my other thread, referenced earlier on page one.

I have gotten alot done today, just need to post the photos to photobucket, then get them on my thread.

Thanks?

Seth K. Pyle