My first build

I got the bike together and running last night. I had a horrible time with turning. The bike wants to stay straight upright. Hard to lean into turns and overall just awkward. Pretty disappointed. I'm thinking it's the wide front tire. It's really wide and completely square. Not rounded at all. The bike will stay upright when sitting. It balances itself with no kickstand. I'm thinking I need a narrower more rounded tire. What do you guys think?

I got the bike together and running last night. I had a horrible time with turning. The bike wants to stay straight upright. Hard to lean into turns and overall just awkward. Pretty disappointed. I'm thinking it's the wide front tire. It's really wide and completely square. Not rounded at all. The bike will stay upright when sitting. It balances itself with no kickstand. I'm thinking I need a narrower more rounded tire. What do you guys think?
Your steering issue sounds a bit like what I am having on my "Jimmy Gote". I did auto front end work years ago, and thought I knew more then I did. I sacrificed "trail" for "caster". Steers ok straight, but slow speed turns seems iffy. Looks like you may be in the same boat, no trail. I was told by them that know, 2-4 inches of trail is a goal. Fat tires in general handle a bit weird too I think. Have you checked trail?

Last edited:
I had my front axle ahead of the forks. I was hoping for some caster effect. Went straight ok, but turns were scary! Today I moved the axle back so I now have about 3 inches of trail. WOW, The whole personality of the bike changed. Before I swear I needed spurs and a hat to ride it. Now it just seems happy to go where ever I want. I see you kicked your axle ahead a couple inches too and are described similar steering issues.