My first project

Hello,

I went ahead and purchased a Rupp Scrambler 1970 ish or 71... I think- Based on the wire wheels I assume that it is a 70. It is covered in rust and dirt, missing a ton of parts, and I probably paid way to much for it... But I wanted it and it was worth it in my eyes. I had no idea what the color was when I bought it. I was thinking that it was a green color or a baby blue. I was actually very wrong, it looks like it has a very rich deep blue that revealed itself after a freshwater rinse to remove most of the caked-on dirt from the past who knows how many years.

Everything seems to be more surface rust and I will go ahead and drop the penetrating oil today and start the teardown process, begin cataloging what parts I will need to get. All the joints seem solid, there are no broken or bent limbs. (in exception to the tank, it has a couple of dings upfront that can possibly be hammered out.) Overall, I am happy and if you can shed any light on it I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
~James

Rupp pickup.jpg Rupp new home.jpg Rupp after rinse.jpg Rupp Under seat label.jpg Rupp Rear Fender.jpg

I know I am going to drop an arm and a leg into this, it probably won't come out amazing either- but, I am definitely going to give it my best shot with the little man who really really(did I mention REALLY) wants a minibike.... but if he wants one- he can build it.

It will come out as good as your KNOWLEDGE, desire and resources allow it. Notice that knowledge comes first. Desire is obviously there. Do your homework first so you dont waste your resources.

Good luck

Since I am new to the minibike world, I just need to know something... Does anything ever go as planned or smoothly? Day 2 hates me and I can't for the life of me get this thing apart. Current status in the image below.
Day 2 Status.jpg

I am learning patience and persistence are two traits that are required for this. I let the penetrating oil do its job and I managed to get the number plate off, the front shock that was stuck, and the TC flange that was on there as well. I felt so proud of myself and then I saw the drive TC bushing that was seized on the jackshaft... heart fell again. Slowly making progress, I think I need to start the search for the H35 that was originally on this thing, as well as a TC assembly. With that being said if you happen to have one and willing to part with it, let me know :)
day 3 status =(.jpg

desert rat

Since I am new to the minibike world, I just need to know something... Does anything ever go as planned or smoothly? Day 2 hates me and I can't for the life of me get this thing apart. Current status in the image below.
View attachment 268570
Short answer no. I have been working on one for about 6 years and have two more in the works. Three people have tried to get the lowers apart and couldn't, one was a well known mini shop in LA CA. Just go slow and don't over build it if it's a rider.

After 4 days of working to get this bike apart, I can say I have just about got it done. I can say that the swing frame arm is evil, and right behind that is the jackshaft, but with a little determination and electricity we have prevailed!

Starting tomorrow, we soak, then sand... then the hunt for parts is on.

desert rat

See if you can find a shop to bead blast it. I did three of mine at work (lucky i know)that way worked out awesome. You do have to be ready to prime the parts right away or they will rust.

ugmold

This project will come down to love. I put a 1970 together with less parts than yours for less than $180. When I bought it all I knew was that it was a Rupp. Not stock, but not altered either. And of course, you can always make it better from there. I like them Ratty however, total restorations aren't my thing $. Just make do, funky.
I did some videos of the build if you want some ideas. Part 1-10

I actually have watched your videos, was trying to figure out what I got myself into. The intention of this was to rebuild and let my little human ride it. But, now it is turning into a “I want this all original and have a little show piece”.... like the furniture our parents had that was never meant to be sat on. This now put me in a predicament of finding something to put together for the little man to ride- he is only 8 and it seems like a doodlebug might be an option but finding mini bikes seems to be a hard task around here.

ugmold

I actually have watched your videos, was trying to figure out what I got myself into. The intention of this was to rebuild and let my little human ride it. But, now it is turning into a “I want this all original and have a little show piece”.... like the furniture our parents had that was never meant to be sat on. This now put me in a predicament of finding something to put together for the little man to ride- he is only 8 and it seems like a doodlebug might be an option but finding mini bikes seems to be a hard task around here.
That is not a bad idea, good luck with the project, keep us posted.

Since this thing is finally apart, I started the fun of getting the rust off and doing a deep clean. Today I will start the strip down and sanding to prep for primer. Starting to feel better about this project :)
96C35002-7C2C-405D-9A96-CA05E94F3CD4.jpeg F32C706F-6B80-4C60-B9D4-E1F40C093EBE.jpeg