My newly acquired Sears mini bike

This is my mini bike I bought from a guy at work this week. It is a Sears. It is a complete running mini bike. I have a few things I have to fix before I can ride it. I need to straigthen the brake lever. (His daughter crashed it and bent the brake lever). I have to fix the pull start cord and clean the carb.
Does anyone know who built these mini bikes for Sears? Any idea what year this mini bike is?

The only things that appear to be missing are some type of chrome sissy bar for the back of the seat and the rear fender.
It is a pretty sweet find.

Nice bike. There are a few of us on here that have one just like it including myself but yours seems to be the most original(minus the engine). Yours also still has the original sticker on the front fork, any possibility you could get a close up of that and maybe the brake setup too, along with that manufacturing tag on the motor plate???
I saw one today at a vintage snowmobile swap/show. It was identical in color/design to your but it only had the frame and tank nothing else.

kbs8ball

I have one too....roper made them I believe...nice find....cool little bikes..I dig the rear suspension set up and the pivoting motor plate...pretty cool idea...the ape hangers are sweet too

Silent H
I will try to get some good photos this weekend and post them. Do you have any idea what year my bike might be? What engine should be on the bike? I just bought the Sears mini bike on Tuesday and haven't had a chance to do anything with it, I hope to clean it up this weekend, take some pictures and get it running.

I have one too....roper made them I believe...nice find....cool little bikes..I dig the rear suspension set up and the pivoting motor plate...pretty cool idea...the ape hangers are sweet too
KBS8Ball,
Yeah I think I lucked out getting this bike. I got it from a guy at work who got it from someone who pulled the bike (without engine) out of the dump. That is the story he told me. I bought it cheap and just the way you see it. It will run on ether. I need to clean the carb up to get it running. How hard is it to find parts for these bikes? I need a rear fender and apparently there is some type of chrome sissy bar that slides into the tubing behind the seat.

Nice find. :thumbsup:

I have a similar bike that I bought for the engine (built 8hp briggs) the front frame doesn't have the bracket welded at the tree and they came with Tecumsehs with the tank on the engine. The bike is comy but the handle bars take getting used to. Mine was painted like Christmas. :doah:

Heres what looks to be a stocker like mine (has two speed).

Last edited:
Silent H,
I took a photo of the Sears decal on the the front fork yoke and a photo of the manufacturer tag on the engine plate. I forgot to take photos of the brake setup. I will try to get those soon.
rr440

Silent H,
Do you have any idea how I would go about reproducing that sticker? How many people do you think would be interested in one if I did reproduce the sticker?

Nice find. :thumbsup:

I have a similar bike that I bought for the engine (built 8hp briggs) the front frame doesn't have the bracket welded at the tree and they came with Tecumsehs with the tank on the engine. The bike is comy but the handle bars take getting used to. Mine was painted like Christmas. :doah:

Heres what looks to be a stocker like mine (has two speed).
can someone please tell me how the trans axle works? i got mine used without it, but it seemed wierd, i was tole the chain JUMPED? i thought that would be impossible, but i might be wrong can somwone please tell me?

"...no chain jumping...only bicycles do that...."

Well, no.

Chain jumping can happen on a mini with poorly designed rear suspension, where the swing arm causes the rear axle to move along a different arc than the chain swing. Add in loose wheel bearings, and chain jumping is assured.

Can also happen on non-swing arm minis with loose rear wheel bearings, or with worn chains....