My Suzuki MT50 Trailhopper

This was my first bike. Ive had it for 10 years now and its time to start restoring this. Ive already aquired a bunch of NOS stuff as well as genuine parts and service manuals. I noticed a few other members on here have these too and I should consider myself lucky as mine is complete. But it does need a fair bit of work. This bike holds a special place in my heart as it was my first bike so a FULL resto is in the works. But holy cow are parts expensive. I just saw a nos oil tank cover go for $200! This is going to be time consuming and headache inducing but its worth it. Some day my kids wil be putting around on it. Here is a pic. A few parts are not pictured on it but I do have everything! Figured id share it with you guys.

marker

1971 Suzuki Trailhopper

I have owned a 1971 Suzuki Trailhopper since it was new, and it has about 3500 miles on it. It is nearly in mint condition, and spent the last 30 years in my parents' garage. I am in the process of installing a new battery, flushing all of the oils, and getting it running again.

There are no tears in the vinyl, all of the plastic covers are intact, the tool kit is in place, the chrome is unblemished, and the tires are original. In short, other than two notches in the from of the gas tank cover (after I wrecked it once it sheared off the stop on the steering column-so it rubs the tank cover), it is nearly perfect. I originally planned on showing it in antique car meets when "I got old".

That time is now, I suppose, but I am interested in selling it now. What do you think that something like that is worth?

marker

Hospitality

I asked an honest question, and expected an honest answer--or no remarks at all!

Just what kind of question would be worthy of this board? I thought it was a board that provided mutual support for people that liked old mini bikes.

I have had the Trailhopper for nearly 40 years. What makes you think that it would just go 'poof' on Ebay? How long have you had a mini-bike?

From the look of your picture, my Trailhopper is older than you are. From the immaturity of your response, I can be fairly sure.

C9H13NO3

I asked an honest question, and expected an honest answer--or no remarks at all!

Just what kind of question would be worthy of this board? I thought it was a board that provided mutual support for people that liked old mini bikes.

I have had the Trailhopper for nearly 40 years. What makes you think that it would just go 'poof' on Ebay? How long have you had a mini-bike?

From the look of your picture, my Trailhopper is older than you are. From the immaturity of your response, I can be fairly sure.
This board does provide mutual support, but it's a forum rule that there are no appraisals. This is because we get lots of guys who find a bike, get a price from OldMiniBikes, and "poof" it's on ebay. It is a sad thing to happen but it happens often.

marker

As a newbie I am glad to learn the rules, put the way that you did.

Perhaps a more pertinent question might be: does anyone know where I can find an OEM gas cap for the Trailhopper?

If that is inappropriate, then I know I am in the wrong place.

C9H13NO3

As a newbie I am glad to learn the rules, put the way that you did.

Perhaps a more pertinent question might be: does anyone know where I can find an OEM gas cap for the Trailhopper?

If that is inappropriate, then I know I am in the wrong place.
I can't answer your question, but someone here will know. Have you checked Ebay?

I say your trailhopper is worth $50 and you should sell it to me! :laugh: jk jk. I hope you dont sell it considering you have owned it for so long. As far as the gas cap, ebay is a good one. I would also keep an eye on Irondog's dirtbike swapmeet. NOS stuff pops up on there occasionally. One of my favorite new tactics for finding stuff is actually searching craigslist via google. Go to google and type in "craigslist Suzuki trailhopper" or "craigslist Suzuki mt50" or something. Then when the search results come up, look for the craigslist results and select "show more results from craigslist.org" then a ittle further down select "show all results from craigslist.org" and vioala! You now have pretty much all craigslist ads from across the country that have something to do with trailhoppers and among them you can sometimes find nos parts. You cant always find what your looking for and people arent always willing to ship but theres stuff out there! This works with other bikes too. I hope that made sense.

Or you can just google "trailhopper nos" and see what happens but thats a bit too broad if ya ask me. Good luck with your quest for a nos gas cap!

Im intrigued by your seat cover. Im having a brain fart right now and cant think of the term but the ribs going across the seat...is that factory. The top of mine (when it was together (damn mice) was flat with no seams except the circumfrence of the seat edge.

1stlegendtx

Im intrigued by your seat cover. Im having a brain fart right now and cant think of the term but the ribs going across the seat...is that factory. The top of mine (when it was together (damn mice) was flat with no seams except the circumfrence of the seat edge.
The seat cover on mine looks like it is from a ct/70.:doah: Its not correct but that's the way I got it and I never thought the stock one looked very good anyway.:shrug: If I ever do a restore on this I will get the correct seat cover.:wink:

Gatecrasher

I always liked the Trailhoppers. They were cool bikes. A friend of mine had one in the early 70s. It definitely had the coolness factor but my Kawasaki Dynamite would blow it away in a race. Even though the Trailhopper was a 2-stroke it wasn't real fast because it was only 50cc.

I would mind finding a nice one someday but they are few and far between and parts are hard to find since Suzuki only made them like two years or so.

I have a nice '71 WITH TITLE, complete all the way to the tool kit. I also have a basket '71, so if you guys need some parts I may have something you need. Let me know.