Need advice, messed up hand with grinder sparks/metal shards

Silvadine cream is what I put on it after removing the Vaseline. Apparently, the Vaseline can "trap" the latent heat from the burn, and cause far more damage. It is also not sterile, and can cause infection. See here:

Vaseline and burns
Interesting article....but even they seem to contradict themselves:

"We propose that the manufacturers change their labelling system, to clearly state that Vaseline is not to be used as an immediate first aid measure for burns, but can be used as a subsequent dressing for minor burns."

Seems to me as stringent as the FDA is and how sue-happy the general population is here, Vaseline would have been forced to change their labeling long ago. I'm pretty sure that stuff was a staple in hospital care for years and is still widely used in the care of babies and infants.

They make it sound like it's the equivelent of applying used wheel bearing grease....

Last edited:

MikeBear

Well, the back of my hand completely healed, and it's almost impossible to tell how bad it was 6 weeks ago. There's some darkening to it, but my skin is darker naturally, so you can't really tell it was messed up from that.

Next time I'll make sure I stand the other way, and get the right hand to balance it out! :laugh: