Need help identifying this Rupp

Drit

20191216_191133.jpg 20191216_214333.jpg 20191216_191205.jpg Hi all, I recently acquired this rupp roller. It has 12" wheels and front and rear drum breaks. Im wondering what model and around what year it could be from. Need to find a jack shaft setup and a seat if anyone knows were to find that stuff. Thanks in advance

If the frame is black originally it would be a 1972 up. Hard to tell what model it is being so stripped. Front wheel is on backwards. There are a bunch of those parts on ebay. Also blackwidowmotorsports is your Rupp parts place.
Back wheel is on backwards also. Unless I'm looking at the photo wrong.

markus

If the wheels are original to the frame I would look at the version called a Swinger Trail that was sold through JC penney It was built like a roadster 2 but badged and decaled differently with motocross tire on the rear only and few different little things. with the older style sprocket.

cfh

On the swinger trail, the frame is slightly different where the motor plate mounts around the foot peg. Also the swinger trail has 10" spoke wheels (could be wrong on that...) Your frame looks like a Roadster2 frame. Though my head hurts looking at the sideways pictures...

markus

On the swinger trail, the frame is slightly different where the motor plate mounts around the foot peg. Also the swinger trail has 10" spoke wheels (could be wrong on that...) Your frame looks like a Roadster2 frame. Though my head hurts looking at the sideways pictures...
that information is incorrect.

cfh

I believe the information i provide to be correct. Here's some proof...

Below is a picture of a Roadster2 frame (fresh black paint) versus a Rupp Swinger frame (original finish). The red arrow shows the difference in the frame area on the motor plate and where it connects to the foot pegs on the Roadster2 versus Swinger.

Next up is the wheel size. I believe the Rupp swinger uses 10" wheels. I'm not 100% sure, as I don't have a complete Swinger... But if you compare the Rupp Swinger swingarm to the Rupp Roadster2 (roadster is repainted black), you can see the length difference. The 10" rupp swingarm is shorter than the roadster2 swingarm. The lengths should be 11.5" from center pivot point to back tip of the swingarm (10" wheels). Where on a 12" wheel bike, the Rupp swingarm center pivot to end is 12.5" long.

To prove that frame in question is really a Swinger, here's the serial number tag....

I mean i could be wrong, but this evidence seems convincing, and hence why i posted the information.

Drit

If the frame is black originally it would be a 1972 up. Hard to tell what model it is being so stripped. Front wheel is on backwards. There are a bunch of those parts on ebay. Also blackwidowmotorsports is your Rupp parts place.
Back wheel is on backwards also. Unless I'm looking at the photo wrong.
Thanks for the information

cfh

I’m not really that sure. Other guys here know a lot more, I’m sure they can weigh in. But I would look at where the foot peg meets the motor plate. And I would measure the swingarm to see if it’s 11 1/2 inches or 12 1/2 inches in length, from center pivot point to tip.

But the thing is, the 1972 swinger frame may just be a 1970 roadster1 frame painted black. It seems very close to that, including the position of the motor. Did Rupp have extras and decide to make this budget Minibike for JCPenney? I don’t know.

But if you put a 12 inch swingarm on a Swinger frame and add a 12” rear wheel, essentially you’ve just made it a roadster2 (except for the motor plate). Well you would have to change the front forks too. Seems like a lot of work... why would someone do that?

markus

@cfh . So I just picked up this Rupp. I was told the gas tank was replaced but they didn't remember the original tank. Rupp or Swinger?. Under the fender was blue. 12" wheels. View attachment 253925
Swinger Trail, as a comparison you can look at the thread where I got the pictures above of an original survivor that Jamie1972 had picked up some years ago, Note its a December 1971 made engine like yours is ( guessing this is the one you were messaging me about), also note the grips, the rear motocross tire etc.. Oh yea, 1971 up frame with standard 12" swingarm even

Heres the thread, the bike a great example with some good shots of the engine and Rupp ID tag in there too! https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/jcpenny-swinger-trail.124653/#post-1026826

have owned 2 of these swinger trails and even one of the previous year sold jc penney "swinger" mini bikes (that had NOTHING to do with Rupp and looked nothing like these) in the past, and parted one out completely, in fact when I said I had a december HS40 55388c like yours, it came off of it. They were all, just like all the other complete ones that have shown up if you do any research will see they were all 1971 version frames ;)

And Heres the catalog shot, you can even see they state 12" wheels......becuase its a 12" wheeled 1971 up frame NOT a 1970 frame!!!!!!! jcpenney 1972_LI.jpg

cfh

Ok the catalog says 12" wheels on the swinger, but then why does my Swinger frame have a 10" wheel swingarm? i guess it could have been changed. or the catalog could be wrong. Don't know? but we all know that catalogs are not always correct.

cfh

Here's another weird thing about my swinger frame. look at the bolt positions for the motor. they are drilled in the 1970s position, more forward than the 1971 roadster2 motor position. which means the torque converter cover is longer on the swinger, and does not use a gates 6061 belt. it's more like the 1970 roadster.

markus

Interesting with the motor plate. Let me see if I can look under my engine. I'll measure the swing arm also.
Bummer on the grips! Please please please!!!! take photos of the engine plate, and run a tape measure across the TC to show that it is in fact a 1971 up frame :) what am I saying, then you woudl just be told that the serial number is wrong on the frame and its just a roadster 2 with the wrong back tire on it :p

Engine plate holes are in the back. I think this bike is kinda original. I was told the tank was replaced. Pretty sure they were not the original grips because they are way short.