Need info on Tecumseh 5HP OHV

I just picked up a solid running Tecumseh 5HP Enduro OHV Industrial/Commercial engine. It looks pretty clean and starts great as long as you skip on using the primer button. When I push the primer like 3 times, it floods the air filter with fuel and it won't start. If I skip on the primer and pul twice, it starts fine and runs good

Either way, does anyone have any info on this engine? Is it reliable or should I just sell it before it dies? It looks like a nice unit and the Industrial/Commercial part leads me to think its built to be beat. I just don't know much about Tecumseh engines. Here's the ID info:

Model - OHH50 680750 (H)
Family - STP172U1G1RB
Displacement - 172

I just picked up a solid running Tecumseh 5HP Enduro OHV Industrial/Commercial engine. It looks pretty clean and starts great as long as you skip on using the primer button. When I push the primer like 3 times, it floods the air filter with fuel and it won't start. If I skip on the primer and pul twice, it starts fine and runs good

Either way, does anyone have any info on this engine? Is it reliable or should I just sell it before it dies? It looks like a nice unit and the Industrial/Commercial part leads me to think its built to be beat. I just don't know much about Tecumseh engines. Here's the ID info:

Model - OHH50 680750 (H)
Family - STP172U1G1RB
Displacement - 172
I have the 5.5 version of that motor that runs like a top.. My primer bulb barely works but who cares?? :shrug: If it starts without it, don't use it... It is just flooding because thats what it is for.. squirt a bunch of fuel to get things happening.. try just giving it one small poke maybe.. But if it starts without it.. Hell, you win.. :thumbsup: I haven't actually used mine on a bike, but tecumseh typically builds a good motor and I am sure it's a good one.. No smoke or knocks or noises.. Run the hell out of it..

Sounds good. Yeah, when I gave it 3 hits and it didn't start, I opened the air filter and it was SOAKED with gas. started fine with the filter off, so that was the issue. I'll just dry start it for now. Can't wait to bolt this thing up and see what it can do. All I've run up until not is normal Briggs Flatties.

Also, is Tecumseh still in business? I'd read somewhere that they went belly up. Were they bought out or just closed shop, or are they still around? If they are shut down, how hard is it going to be to find parts? Should I stock up on some items that tend to fail frequently? Carb rebuild kits or something like that?

Sounds good. Yeah, when I gave it 3 hits and it didn't start, I opened the air filter and it was SOAKED with gas. started fine with the filter off, so that was the issue. I'll just dry start it for now. Can't wait to bolt this thing up and see what it can do. All I've run up until not is normal Briggs Flatties.

Also, is Tecumseh still in business? I'd read somewhere that they went belly up. Were they bought out or just closed shop, or are they still around? If they are shut down, how hard is it going to be to find parts? Should I stock up on some items that tend to fail frequently? Carb rebuild kits or something like that?
Yes, unfortunately Tecumseh was yet another victim of the system.. They are done for, but there are back stocked parts from decades ago right up to current stuff.. I wouldn't worry about it.. I would get a fully adjustable OLDER model carb some where some day if the price is right.. Just because they run sooooo much nicer.. And the primer and stuff will eventually go to shit on your carb... But thats years off still.. And even the 1970's carbs are still available used.. I've sold dozens of them anywhere from like 20-50 bucks depending on the circumstance.. I have lke 2 milk crates and two 5 gallon buckets full of good carbs, parts carbs, destroyed carbs.. Many other people do too... When ya want one, you'll be able to find one..

Yeah, Mine has no adjustments. Its all factory set. I'm not worried as long as it runs good for now, but I'll probably get an adjustable unit down the road. Can you still get rebuild kits for them?

problems with 5hp ohv tecumseh endoro motor

Yes, unfortunately Tecumseh was yet another victim of the system.. They are done for, but there are back stocked parts from decades ago right up to current stuff.. I wouldn't worry about it.. I would get a fully adjustable OLDER model carb some where some day if the price is right.. Just because they run sooooo much nicer.. And the primer and stuff will eventually go to shit on your carb... But thats years off still.. And even the 1970's carbs are still available used.. I've sold dozens of them anywhere from like 20-50 bucks depending on the circumstance.. I have lke 2 milk crates and two 5 gallon buckets full of good carbs, parts carbs, destroyed carbs.. Many other people do too... When ya want one, you'll be able to find one..
I recently bought a ruttman(advertised as a little indian) with a 5hp tecumseh motor.It came with a fancy air cleaner(i have the original)& cool exhaust pipe(long black strait pipe no muffler ect). The bike takes about 4-6 pumps of the primer plug to get started & then it dosnt get even gas flow. It stalls almost constant. It will excellerate at a crazy rate it does wheelies but when it starts to top out it stalls then i pump primer button & it starts dont know what to do. My email is petey5667@yahoo.com

Got me man. Mine runs like a top and since there are no adjustments on the carb, I have no idea how to get the settings right. I guess a carb rebuild couldn't hurt, or pick up a carb with mixture adjustment screws and set it where it needs to be.