Need Peerless Differential for 74 Alsport Tri Sport trike street legal

I have an 74 Alsport Tri Sport SL that I bought in the 70's. When I got it had a yamaha engine on it. I have been rebuilding it in a reimagined way since May.

I can buy from outdoordistributors.com according to their website but I thought I would post to see if anyone has one they want to sell. Its the Peerless 100-001 differential 4 bolt for 1" axle. The part is #794404A in case anyone wants to know.

I started putting it back together in May with a kawasaki engine and blew the housing apart, LOl. But, It went a few hundred hard miles before it happened so that lawn mower differential is pretty tough little bugger. I could just replace the housing but would like to just get a whole shabang if I can find one. Maybe used would be less expensive.

My other options are thousands of dollars and a whole rebuild to put an axle for trikes under it or convert myself a differential out of a Honda civic or something like that. I am told the front wheel drive cars many of them are usable and you just cut an opening in the case to make it chain drive.

I have changed my mind. The one at Northern would only hold up for a small lawn mower engine.

Thanks for the info. I found it also finally, but now I know that it will blow apart if I use that.
I have a kawi ninja engine and I need one of the original differentials that Alsport had. S.Durham posted photos of it and that is how I found out about it.

If anyone has one or something like it that I can modify, please let me know. The post shows a steel one that was probably used on the off road models. Not sure, but, it would do the job I need it for, at least for the time being.
I am going to actually end up rebuilding and replacing with a differential from a car.

Found a company in Wales that actually makes them and even does special orders.

Here is the post with the pics. I would post them myself but I haven't figured out how to upload my photos yet!,
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/go-karts/24897-differential-setup-alsport.html#post164982

Thanks!

I would call Peerless with your specifics for the application. Our past experiences with them have been great over the phone.
Just my .02 cents.
Hope this helps,
SAT

There is a place in Richlandtown PA, Called Larry's Service center. 215-536-6958. He has the NOS peerless rears. He bought the factory out when it burned down many years ago. We have bought many of them from him for our trikes. I'm pretty sure he will ship

Thanks. I see your last post with the info. I will give them a call. Maybe they have something stronger than the 100-001. If its made of steel and not aluminum, it might do the trick and get me by until I swap out to a really nice one.

Thanks again

I found them but Northerns offering is a cheapy thing that you wouldn't want to put behind anything other than a bicycle or sm lawnmower engine. But really appreciate the input. Just wanted to let you know about the actual ability of it for anyone else who might be looking.on.

Thanks again!

There is a place in Richlandtown PA, Called Larry's Service center. 215-536-6958. He has the NOS peerless rears. He bought the factory out when it burned down many years ago. We have bought many of them from him for our trikes. I'm pretty sure he will ship
:thumbsup:

Thanks. I see your last post with the info. I will give them a call. Maybe they have something stronger than the 100-001. If its made of steel and not aluminum, it might do the trick and get me by until I swap out to a really nice one.
Still trying to figure everything out on this forum for posting. Got to figure out how to upload my photos too, LOL. :001_cool:
Thanks again

Ok, I think I gotcha.

Call tomarrow and find out details.

Thanks again.

By the way, this is Hermans lady who is not so with it on this stuff! So don't judge HIM, Ok, LOL

sincerely,

Cathy

Last edited:

wjustice

The thing here is that Alsport put the 100 series behind all the SL engines. Alsport did use a better diff in the offroad versions, the holton, but used the lighter duty peerless for the street. Repowering with stronger engines and using offroad will result in their quick demise. A 100 will swap in fairlly easily. It 40+ years old and had it been serviced? They will last if not abused.