Need some Tecumseh help on Long Island!

Hello- I have a vintage, early 70s Tecumseh engine from my Go kart. The engine was sent out and restored several years ago but never fired. Fast forward to last week and I cant get it to run. Not sure whats wrong. Id like to find someone reputable on LI that might want to take a look at it and get it running right for me. If any of you have any recommendations, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
Jason

Hello- I have a vintage, early 70s Tecumseh engine from my Go kart. The engine was sent out and restored several years ago but never fired. Fast forward to last week and I cant get it to run. Not sure whats wrong. Id like to find someone reputable on LI that might want to take a look at it and get it running right for me. If any of you have any recommendations, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
Jason
Try Kellers Motorsports in Bayshore 631 665 0886
Tell them the guys at L.I. Mini Bike Madness show and swap meet referred you.

Greg

Try Kellers Motorsports in Bayshore 631 665 0886
Tell them the guys at L.I. Mini Bike Madness show and swap meet referred you.

Greg
I took your advice and contacted Mr Keller. Intially I was impressed with his knowledge and go kart racing experience. I thought I found the right place to get my little Tecumseh engine running again. Keep in mind this engine is completely refinished externally. Literally looks like brand new. I tel Mr Keller that in trying to get it running, I tried adjusting the timing and that the engine will definitely need to be re-timed. I drop off my engine and give Mr Keller a $50 deposit

I get a call from Mr Keller telling me that the engine needs to be opened up as there is a binding in the rotating assembly and that whoever rebuilt it put the connecting rod cap on wrong, the cylinder needs to be honed and new rings installed. I did notice what he was talking about when trying to start it so I tell him to proceed. I dont hear anything for a couple weeks and call. He tells me that the engine now needs a new set of points. Even though the points were new (I checked them), I tell him to just go ahead and install new points.

I wait and wait for a call telling me my engine is now running but I dont. Weeks go by and I call again, Mr Keller tells me that the engine still doesnt run and he now suspects the flywheel isnt correct for the engine. He claims that the flywheel is off a vertical shaft engine . I tell him that is definitely the correct flywheel and the engine ran previously with it. At this point I started losing confidence in him. I told him that I would like to pay for what he has already done and pick up my engine. He said that he would rather see it running and tested before giving it back to me

More time goes by and I deciede to pay Mr Keller a visit. I see Charlie, his mechanic. Charlie takes me to a corner of his "shop" which is essentally a large portable tent/ garage with a dirt floor and my restored engine is sitting in oily dirt on its side with the flywheel, blower cover and other parts in a dirty box next to it. The exposed parts of the crankshaft have orangey rust on them, some of the bolts are now rusty and the threaded end of the crank has dirt packed in it. Needless to say I was a bit pissed off. I told Charlie to reassemble the engine, find out what I owe Mr Keller and I would be back to come pick it up.

I stop back a week later and the engine is reassembled. Mind you, it still doesnt run. Its literally in the same shape I dropped it off in, only difference is my refinished engine is now filthy and rusty in places. Im trying to contain my anger at all this and Charlie proceeds to hand me an invoice for $375 in parts and labor. That sent me over the edge. $375 and the god damn thing still doesnt run. I tell Charlie that I will carry the engine to my car. I put the engine in my car, lock the door, tell him Im not paying his bill and drive off. What a shit show this whole thing was

I take my engine home and do what I should of done in the first place, I try and get it running myself. I get a service manual and perform the timing procedure outlined in the book. The points Mr Keller put were crap. I reinstalled the old points, set the to .020" and put the piston to .065" BTDC and and adjusted the stator till my DVOM broke continuity. Put it all together and it literally started on the first pull. Ran like a top .

Took me a few hours to carefully clean and detail the engine. Unfortunately there are some scratches and what not on the engine now from its neglect under Mr Kellers care. Lesson learned- if you want something done, you have to do it yourself. And no one will take care of your property the way you will.

Mr Keller called me a day or two later to discuss his bill. I told him that I would pay him $175 less the $50 deposit. I honestly dont think he deserves anything. I havent paid him yet, but I do plan to. He can wait till Im good and ready to pay him. I dont feel like rushing over there after he treating me and my engine the way he did

mustangfrank

You just described similar events in my early life dealing with mechanics and repair shops that had the same outcomes...they literally shaped my life as I ended up figuring out how to do anything and almost everything to my cars and toys to avoid other hands touching my stuff and chancing it.

If I could just afford a nice tire balancer & installer, commit to learning automatic transmissions and get a spray booth I will be completely free of hired labor.

Glad you got it running, hope the rest of the project goes smoother.