Need to ID a Keihin carb.

Last summer i bought a Clinton model 414 engine. On it somebody had made a intake and mounted a Keihin carb on it. It is a slide valve side draft carb. The number stamped on the Keihin carb PE---45BATK. The letters PE are cast into the upper half of the carb and the number 45BATK is stamped on a boss just below it. The carb just looks to big for the Clinton engine. Any idea what Carbzilla fits ? Also what is the plunger on the top for ? A choke maybe.

capguncowboy

I picked up an H50 last spring with a Keihin carb on it. I never put it to use. It's in a box somewhere. The seller of the engine claimed it had a little more umph than the standard Tec carb, but I never tested or researched his claims

Searches say early 80's Honda CR 480r's had the on if it's a PE 45BATK? Searched out some keihin parts of mine and couldn't find them referenced except on e-bay. Would be nice if it rides and runs like that bike! Seems like a lot of carb but hey, gas is getting cheaper:thumbsup:

The Keihin carbs have a somewhat better fuel metering system. Thus slightly better to use on a minibike.

The Clinton/Lauson/Tecumseh carbs are designed for the small work engine market ("full on" or "idle"), so are not as efficient in the mid range and just over idle where most riding is done.

Rupp chose the Italian Del'Lorto carbs. But that was the 1970's and the Honda invasion was only beginning. Now the Keihin carbs are much much easier to fine.

EDIT: metric carb sizes are based on the throat opening. Many people think it's on the slide size, which is usually very close to the same size as the throat, but not always.

On the 4 hp Rupp they used a 19mm carb
I've been told a 5HP Tecumseh can use up to around a 22 to 24mm carb.

Last edited:

capguncowboy

The Keihin carbs have a somewhat better fuel metering system. Thus slightly better to use on a minibike.

The Clinton/Lauson/Tecumseh carbs are designed for the small work engine market ("full on" or "idle"), so are not as efficient in the mid range and just over idle where most riding is done.

Rupp chose the Italian Del'Lorto carbs. But that was the 1970's and the Honda invasion was only beginning. Now the Keihin carbs are much much easier to fine.

EDIT: metric carb sizes are based on the throat opening. Many people think it's on the slide size, which is usually very close to the same size as the throat, but not always.

On the 4 hp Rupp they used a 19mm carb
I've been told a 5HP Tecumseh can use up to around a 22 to 24mm carb.
Yes, that's why some people use the Dellorto 22 on their 69 Roadsters and 68 TT500s