Need torsion springs for footpegs on DB30.....

Does anyone know where to get the springs for a doodlebug for the footpegs? Very hard to find. Custom spring shop wanted like 50.00 per spring?! I used a chain tensioner for the left side and it worked perfect, however because you can't get them in right and left hand turns it won't work for the right side peg.... so frustrated. Can't find these springs anywhere. Hopefully someone will be able to give some good advice!
Thanks everyone in advance!
John

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Did you check at the OldMiniBikes Warehouse ? They have a lot of DB stuff. Eric [MENTION=31879]CarPlayLB[/MENTION] might know.

https://store.monstermoto.com/collections/parts/products/90-10022-00
Check these out. 95% sure they're the same, but I will verify for you tomorrow morning.
Thanks Daniel! Yeah looks like it will work. Those are really cheap too! They aren't 180 degrees but close enough probably. I bought a spring for 10.00 and tried to bend it and it snapped! I was so mad! I'll order a couple of those and see if I can get them to work.
Right now we have to get ready to leave for the hurricane. It's headed right towards us!
Thanks a ton for the link!
John

gbabins1

You can always make your own torsion springs too. I made one for a spring loaded tensioner..
They're pretty simple to make.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Thanks gbabins1. How did you make yours?
Makes me mad that the parts are 4.00 and the shipping is 13! Ugh!
OldMiniBikes mobile app powered by Tapatalk
lol Feel lucky you don't live in Canada. I just got an invoice for $40 from FEDEX for parts I bought in August that had $24 shipping at the time. I think I paid around $110 CND for parts and now that's almost doubled with shipping/duty. Every time I want parts I have to check all the Canadian sites (very few) then cross reference the American sites (calculate the exchange which at the time was 1 CND = .74 USD and shipping) and usually the American sites are still cheaper. This is the first time I've had to pay duty, I guess from now on I have to keep my orders smaller.

Oh man! I will stop complaining! So there isn't many places in Canada that sell parts? I would have thought it would be just like in the states....

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes

gbabins1

Thanks gbabins1. How did you make yours?
Makes me mad that the parts are 4.00 and the shipping is 13! Ugh!

Sorry JTB, just saw this. I will post some pictures on it when I get a chance. It was pretty easy to make. It's not totally finished yet but seems to work really well when held in place with some vice grips... gotta tack and weld it on.
I'll post up a step by step when I get some free time. Just have to make sure you have it wound in the proper direction. I have made some other tensioners that work flawless but I wanted to make one that was self contained and didn't require a spring mounted to the frame.

Really like what you did and I agree that being self contained is a better design. I just attached mine to the frame. Thanks for the info! I have been thinking why people get the torque converters and it must have to do with this issue as well? When you get going on the minibike it really shakes a lot until you get up to speed. I tried getting some stronger springs and it still shakes. Is that what those torque converters do?

I bought this one online and drilled a hole in it. Tried a few different strength springs. It works at keeping the chain taught, but still loads of vibration....
thanks for your help!!!

gbabins1

Really like what you did and I agree that being self contained is a better design. I just attached mine to the frame. Thanks for the info! I have been thinking why people get the torque converters and it must have to do with this issue as well? When you get going on the minibike it really shakes a lot until you get up to speed. I tried getting some stronger springs and it still shakes. Is that what those torque converters do?

Thanks! I welded the tensioner on and it works flawless.
As far as the torque converters go... they are belt driven but still require a chain to the back wheel. The belt drive is CVT or constant variable transmission. Which means the gear ratio is consistently changing. Which gives you better torque and top-end. Your bike might be shaking until it gets up to speed because the clutch is slipping the bushing may need to be oiled. We oil our clutch bushings about every 3 hours or so depending on the conditions that you ride in and your gearing on your bike.