New bike needs clutch, what kind?

First post, great site here! I have done some searching and couldn't find a straight answer. The output shaft is 1" and the key is 1/4". It has a driven (I hope I use that term correctly) clutch on it already so I need to find the driver. I know that this is not a lot of info but I was hoping that someone could help me figure out what I need. I did take a picture of it, hope it helps.

Welcome to the place. You'll need to know your belt width. Have you looked at the 780 Comet Clutch? A couple of them are offered starting at 1" belt widths.

george3

Your belt looks too skinny for the rear pully. post more pics with the belt on the pully. Also measure the pully width at the top where the belt should be. The belt should ride at the top of that driven pully, even with the top. your belt is a 5/8 wide belt you may need a 3/4 or 7/8 belt pics and measurement will tell. Its prob. a 7/8 belt needed but make sure. not cheap for these parts.

Last edited:
Well spring is upon us once again and am still looking for a clutch. Can anybody offer help in finding one without going broke? I something that looks like what I need but the costs are quite high (would be fine with used).

For reference I am looking something like this, right?
Clutch

Honestly, if you cannot define your driven and belt for certain (I'd guess 7/8" belt) you can but a complete TAV2 set up from OldMiniBikes Warehouse for $139.95 in 1" bore. The only issue may be belt length as these mount with a backing plate. Remove the driven and install on your j/s(5/8" j/s?) and install the driver. Get the belt length and bingo!

Well spring is upon us once again and am still looking for a clutch. Can anybody offer help in finding one without going broke? I something that looks like what I need but the costs are quite high (would be fine with used).
Yes, that would be a clutch you could use. I'd prefer an actual Comet 40 driver, but the clones seem to do okay. Belt width is 7/8 and would probably be okay with your current driven. Given the age and condition, I'd contemplating getting both a driver and a driven that matched. More money, and just a comment, as I am not "there" nor do I know what machine you are working with.

You're dealing with the most important part of the machine here though. Clutch/belt performance is everything.

Thanks for the quick replies Havasu & Minibikin! Now that I know for sure what clutch to use is there a way to test the driven before I make a purchase? I know that I am going to have to spend some $ to get this thing moving but I don't want to waste any. :)

Thanks for the quick replies Havasu & Minibikin! Now that I know for sure what clutch to use is there a way to test the driven before I make a purchase? I know that I am going to have to spend some $ to get this thing moving but I don't want to waste any. :)
Short answer, "no." You really need to spin the driven up to RPM, then have it sense "torque" to see if it's working. It most likely is OK, but it looks old, and possibly worn. For a few extra bucks, you get a MATCHING system with correct belt, and optimum performance. It's worth the money.

Maybe send Minibikin a PM and ask directly. I couldn't find the link to the OldMiniBikes TAV Minibikin refers to.

I have a 40 series driver and a driven to match that I had on a drag bike back in the day. The driven is for a 5/8 jackshaft I think. Or maybe it was for a 3/4. I can't remember because it was back around 1996-98 the last time I used it but it still looks new. Can get you pics when I get home this weekend if you like. Was running it on a 13hp honda. I know I don't have a belt though.

Last edited: