New guy needs Bonanza Mini Chopper HELP!

Just found OldMiniBikes. Looks like a great site! I hope someone can help me out.I`m trying to restore a Bonanza Mini Chopper for my son.I`ve had it for a while,and he just spotted in in the garage.It`s missing the motor,chain guard, and gas tank,but everything else seems to be there.This one has the jack shaft still intact.I`m wondering if it should have the 4hp Tecumseh or ?? I have an old Harley alum. oil tank that looks about the same size as the gas tank i`ve seen in other pictures of the bike...It should work...I hope! Can anyone help me out with a complete motor and/or chain guard for the bike?,or point me in the right direction? His B`Days in late May.I`m hoping to have it done then. Thanks in advance for any help! Mark on the Jersey Shore.

If the jackshaft is original, It came with the Hodaka 2 stroke & about 11hp. I think a Tecumseh 4 hp came on the bikes without a jackshaft. The Hodakas are hard to find and pricey. Without the jackshaft, a Tecumseh might work. Here's a link.

BONANZA MODELS ID & BROCHURES

Last edited:
Looks like this Bonanza Mini Chopper is a CR-500 model.Thanks for the help from the members in pointing that out.Now the hard part...Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the Hodaka engine,pipe,and lights used on this model? I can`t say i have a ton of $$`s to sink into this,but lets see what happens! Thanks again for help.
Mark on the Jersey Shore

If you are going with a Hodaka engine in it, You can give Strickly Hodaka a try. They are at Mid Ohio every year for AMA vintage days. They have large inventory of reproduction parts and NOS. And may have engines to sell.

If you go with a Hodaka get an E series they were manufactured for mini bikes like the Scout CR-500.
Side note: an E series will cost more but will give you a greater return on your investment should you decide to sell your project at some future date.:thumbsup:

Hodaka E series

What's a E series Hodaka worth for just a rebuildable motor? I see alot of the other series around, but just wondered how much I should expect to pay for the E series.

What's a E series Hodaka worth for just a rebuildable motor? I see alot of the other series around, but just wondered how much I should expect to pay for the E series.
It just depends on finding one first. I see them turn up on ebay every now and again but usually there's like a million people bidding on them. Check out this link it might help you on your quest :thumbsup:
Hodaka Serial Number Identification

Mini Chopper

You need to decide if you want to ride it, or spend a lot on a restoration with correct CR 500 and Hodaka correct parts. Since the Hodaka is a healthy 11 hp, consider how old your son is or who would be riding. I have my CR 400 that I've had since 1970, all original and still ride it. It would be easy for you to put your bike together with a tecumseh HS40 using the jackshaft. The chains and small sprockets between the engine could be #35, but the other parts and the rear sprocket could be the ones used with a Hodaka Ace 100 E-series. It will cost you hundreds to thousands depending on if you buy a new Hodaka,(yes, they are still available) as well as all the parts like the special engine mounts, the expansion chamber exhaust, tank, air cleaner, carb, etc. Really any tecumseh 3, 3.5, or 4 hp flathead engine could be used to get started and riding at much less expense.

You need to decide if you want to ride it, or spend a lot on a restoration with correct CR 500 and Hodaka correct parts. Since the Hodaka is a healthy 11 hp, consider how old your son is or who would be riding. I have my CR 400 that I've had since 1970, all original and still ride it. It would be easy for you to put your bike together with a tecumseh HS40 using the jackshaft. The chains and small sprockets between the engine could be #35, but the other parts and the rear sprocket could be the ones used with a Hodaka Ace 100 E-series. It will cost you hundreds to thousands depending on if you buy a new Hodaka,(yes, they are still available) as well as all the parts like the special engine mounts, the expansion chamber exhaust, tank, air cleaner, carb, etc. Really any tecumseh 3, 3.5, or 4 hp flathead engine could be used to get started and riding at much less expense.
I totally agree with marksteinhilber get that baby ready to ride. :thumbsup:

If the jackshaft is original, It came with the Hodaka 2 stroke & about 11hp. I think a Tecumseh 4 hp came on the bikes without a jackshaft. The Hodakas are hard to find and pricey. Without the jackshaft, a Tecumseh might work. Here's a link.

BONANZA MODELS ID & BROCHURES
FYI...I bought a cr 400 new [still have it] and it came with a tecumseh and jackshaft. It came with the gas tank attached to the engine though. Not the chrome detached tank. Paid $130. Still had the recipe and all.

Cool. It must have been from a time when they were using what they had on hand to fill orders or nearing end of production. Where and when did you buy it? Post a picture if you can.

Bought it in Maplewood, Minnesota from a company called Bell Industries. They sold all sorts of RV stuff. I'll get picture soon as I can.

tony

Mini Chopper options

I got my Mini Chopper for Christmas in 1970, I think, but I might be off a year or two either direction. I still have all the paperwork including the parts list that shows the options like the chrome cylinder gas tank, the chrome chain guard, the lighting options, and the motor options for the Ace 100. So your CR400 came with the Tecumseh HS40, but had some of the nice options! Nice to hear there's others kept safe.

I picked up my Hodaka for fifty bucks and I might be getting all of this sheetmetal salvage guy's hodaka stuff that includes four motors two frames and a complete original Hodaka ACE 100 bike original seat and all.

i know i posting on this like a year later almost to the day just got my very own e series og cr500 needs only a little tlc 26 years after i first rode one ive come to own one this year cant wait to go to winber!!!!!!!!!!!!:pimp