New guy- Old Timer

I used to ride a mini bike, 'Gator-Gad-a-Bout', back in the early sixty's when I was in my late teens, in the Navy. My main transportation. Never forgot the fun. In 1979 I picked up a couple basket cases, for the kids, right? Never got them together. Moved them lots of times. Now that I'm retired and found 'Old Mini Bikes', I've found out what they were, and started restoring, for the Grandkids, right? One is an early sixties Fox, model #1138 and the other is a bigger dirtbike, a Rupp 198 MC - Thunder Bolt. I've also picked up an old Taiwanese frame with a running Briggs for me to play with while I work on the others. Lots of info on the Fox but nobody seems to be talking about the Rupp. I haven't found anybody with info ,as yet.
I'll keep reading your blurbs. If any of you have any info about what year this thing is, I'd apprceate it.
dandy lion (Michigan)

Im Thinking it is a 198cc motor????? I could be wrong, It has happened before.LOL And welcome to the site, Nice to see more Michiganders here. Im from central Michigan. Edmore. enjoy your toys. jonnybiker

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I'm at Long Lake, Fenwick. About 7 miles east of Belding. I'll give you the scoop on the Rupp. This is info right off the decals on the bike.
RuppThunder Bolt 198 MC, it is powered by a 5 HP 197cc Tecumseh, clutch belted to a torque amplifier on a jack shaft chain drive. Wheel base is 44", back wheel is 14.5", front is 16.5", and it stands 35" tall at the bars. It's got drum brakes and double spring suspension fore & aft. It has original dirt bike tires on both wheels. I've had it indoors all these years. Everything, brakes & wheels, cables, are all loose and operating. Not presently running as engine is missing some things and will need going over. The tank laid separatly on its side, on concrete, for about fifteen years so it's rusted, maybe through. Other than that, it LOOKS ready to ride.
I'm not very good with this 'puter stuff so I'm not sure I can manage the photos yet. If you find out anything, let me know. (email - papahorn@chartermi.net)

dandy lion

delray

dandy lion, the one bike you are talking about almost sounds like a fox thunder bolt they made in the 70's that came with 5hp tecumseh. the bike had 14inch? rear and 16inch? in the front. i have two of them, but not sure on the tire size(i think they are bigger). i do remember the front tire being larger then the back:thumbsup:. bikes are in a storage and have not look at them for awhile:doah:
here is some pic's of what they look like all original and some of my bikes disassemble:thumbsup:

Delray,
You are dead on, exactly. Nice photos of the originals. Mine looks like the condition of the back one in your parts pile, only with the good seat. I am missing the torque cover, air filter, and exhaust. Did you restore yours to the finished photos?
dandy lion

Delray,
The only difference I see is, on mine, the Rupp decal is on the tec engine recoil start cover. My guess is that everybody borrowed from everybody else. My Fox #1138 mini bike frame is identicle to the Rupp Chopper. Having gotten mine in '79, as a basket case, my guess was early '70's or late 60's.
Thanks for the imput. You're the first & only one that knew what I was describing.
dandy

delray

dandy lion they made two different models of this. one with lights for the street and without. both models came with 5hp tecumseh with torque converter. it kind of sounds like someone found a rupp engine or cover and replace the original unit on your bike?
:scooter:...glad i could help:thumbsup: