New Guy Says Hello! And then tells about bad buying experience...

First of all, as someone who has been lurking for awhile, I want to introduce myself and say that I’ve gained a lot of information reading the prior posts that you guys have taken the time to write. Keep up the good work, you’re helping a lot of individuals like myself who are trying to get answers on where to start with a new project!

I’m not looking to start a flame war or make any waves with other board members. My goal is to document my experiences so that someone else in my shoes doesn’t make the same expensive mistake that I made.

Some friends and I were looking for a low budget pit bike to take to the races with us. We just want something to run to the snack stand or the timing and scoring booth. We all liked the idea of getting something old-school like each of us had when we were growing up. That led me directly to oldminibikes.com, and that is where the fun began!

I also started looking for mini bike kits. That let me to gokartsusa.com and that’s where my trouble began!

Being the novice that I am, I ordered the Road Rocket Mini Bike kit that is on their website based largely on the picture. Link here… Road Rocket Old School Minibike :: Mini Bike Minibikes Bikes Azusa Vintage I like the wheels in the picture!!! The problem is that the description for the Road Rocket is says it has 8” aluminum wheels. In my defense, there is nothing mentioning that the mini bike in the picture has 10” wheels, not 8” wheels. As you would expect, I got 8” wheels with my kit. I still like that 10” wheels much better than the 8” aluminum Tri-Star wheels that were included. The trouble began when I contacted gokartsusa.com to get a resolution for this. The first problem is getting an actual person on the phone. The second is finding someone actually interested in customer service. So far, their position is that I got what was described in word on the website, not what was represented in the picture and absolutely no returns on mini bike kits. No offer to help me get what I actually wanted to purchase. I even offered to pay to ship the 8” wheels back to them and pay any difference for the 10” wheels. No luck…

My only recourse at this time is to start a dispute with my credit card company to resolve which I will do today.

Morale of the story? Make sure you know EXACTLY what you are ordering if you decide to buy from gokartsusa.com and better yet, purchase from a vendor that is supporting this outstanding website:thumbsup:!!

Hello,

Sorry you had a bad experience. Here are a couple things you should know:

1. The Azusa 10" wheel kits aren't recommended - many people complain about wheel wobble with them.

2. If you're not getting anywhere with Go Karts USA, contact Azusa directly: 626-967-4167. They'll hopefully let you return just the wheels/tires/tubes/bushings and swap them for the 10" setup if you'd like - just remember the above warning.

3. You could have bought the same 8" kit from OldMiniBikes.com - Discount & Replacement Mini Bike Parts for $360 shipped to your door (10" kit available, too)... keep us in mind next time. :)

buckeye

Welcome to the site. I read the ad and it clearly states it comes with 8 inch wheels. Maybe I am missing something but why did you think you would get 10 inch wheels? Did you custom order yours with 10 inch wheels? You are right, it is best to buy from someone you trust. Obviously you should be able to trust a company. I am with you on the frustration dealing with customer service. I have beat my head against the wall while trying to talk with customer service with companys. I won't even call certain companies on the phone anymore for English press this for this press that. it is just a frikin nightmare. There are a lot of good people here that will sell you a good old school mini if you get this situation resolved and get you cash back. if you don't it sucks. you would think they would want to keep their customers happy and 10 inch wheels can't cost them that much more than 8 inch wheels.

Welcome to the site. I read the ad and it clearly states it comes with 8 inch wheels. Maybe I am missing something but why did you think you would get 10 inch wheels? Did you custom order yours with 10 inch wheels? You are right, it is best to buy from someone you trust. Obviously you should be able to trust a company. I am with you on the frustration dealing with customer service. I have beat my head against the wall while trying to talk with customer service with companys. I won't even call certain companies on the phone anymore for English press this for this press that. it is just a frikin nightmare. There are a lot of good people here that will sell you a good old school mini if you get this situation resolved and get you cash back. if you don't it sucks. you would think they would want to keep their customers happy and 10 inch wheels can't cost them that much more than 8 inch wheels.
I think his main complaint is that the 8" wheels look completely different than the 10" wheels pictured. Here is what the 8" tristars look like:

http://OldMiniBikes.com/images/P/AZ1152.jpg

Buckeye - Being very unfamiliar with the differences in wheels, I just didn't know that the bike in the picture had 10" wheels not the 8" wheels in the description. The picture Viki posted is the exact wheels I received. Nick at gokartsusa even tried to convince me that the bike in the picture actually had 8" aluminum wheels on it. I was willing to pay for the difference to get the 10" wheels so it really wouldn't have costed them anything and made me a happy customer.

Viki - Thank you for the heads up on the 10" wheels! How about I call you this afternoon and buy some of the 8" spinners on your website? Would they be a direct replacement from the tri-stars I have now?

toomanytoys

glad i didn't order that kit, I would of expected the wheels to look like they do in the picture of their product.

This is where internet buying can get shady. I show you a picture of a Tec H50 that is black and looks new, but really its just a representation of a tec h50, and the one I ship to you is ugly. Even if it is in person mechanical condition and you got what you wanted, you wanted the pretty one.

what a freakin joke...sorry to hear about your bad experience. deal with OldMiniBikes and you'll get the royal treatment. no matter if you order $4 worht of stuff or $400, they will always give you top notch customer service.

Speaking of jokes, I see they have an option for an External gas tank "KIT"
Mini Bike Gas Tank

You can get that same "KIT" (just a tank) on ebay for way chaper.:facepalm:
Mini Moto Pocket Bike Parts Gas Tank 47cc 49cc Cag A-1 | eBay
47CC 49cc GAS TANK 2 STROKE MINI Pocket Bike Scooter | eBay

buckeye

Thanks for clarification. I just read the advertisement. And no doubt the photo misrepresents the product.I would have fallen for the same scam. Got to look at everything nowadays. And yes dealing with OldMiniBikes is the best. great quality service no matter what you buy or how much you spend. Gofarts usa is off the bookmark list. Thanks.

Last edited:
Buckeye - Being very unfamiliar with the differences in wheels, I just didn't know that the bike in the picture had 10" wheels not the 8" wheels in the description. The picture Viki posted is the exact wheels I received. Nick at gokartsusa even tried to convince me that the bike in the picture actually had 8" aluminum wheels on it. I was willing to pay for the difference to get the 10" wheels so it really wouldn't have costed them anything and made me a happy customer.

Viki - Thank you for the heads up on the 10" wheels! How about I call you this afternoon and buy some of the 8" spinners on your website? Would they be a direct replacement from the tri-stars I have now?
Unfortunately, the 8" spinner wheels don't work with the kit because the brake setup won't fit.

toomanytoys

what a freakin joke...sorry to hear about your bad experience. deal with OldMiniBikes and you'll get the royal treatment. no matter if you order $4 worht of stuff or $400, they will always give you top notch customer service.
I couldn't agree more. I have only ordered maybe 50 dollars worth of parts from OldMiniBikes, but I called in with some questions a couple small items, 5 dollar parts. And I was helped the same as if I was asking about buying a big dollar item.

The place you bought your kit from shows this on their webpage:

http://gokartsusa.com/Bonanza-Minibike.aspx

They show the order form, then you scroll down and underneath it says "the bike shown is a restored bonanza with a hodaka ace 100 on it, not for sale!

The roller they are showing for 1095 dollars isn't even the same style as the 'restored' one they are using for a picture

it honest to god boils my blood

Last edited:
Welcome to OldMiniBikes :thumbsup: ... Hope it all works out for ya ... Definitely post some pics of your projects ... I assume you're in Texas ... We hopefully will be getting a meet together soon when it cools down so stay posted
Roc

Guys and gals, I appreciate all the kind words. As I said, I'm not trying to start any wars here, just offer some information that a new person may find useful based on my experiences.

You have a great little community going here and it's good to see you encouraging each other. I've actually been kind of disgusted by the whole experience up till now and didn't have much motiviation to work on the kit. You guys have renewed my interest in it!

Any suggestions on cool looking 8" - 10" wheels?

Viki - Thanks for the info on the spinners not being a direct replacement. Do you sell a brake setup that I could use?

Buckeye - I think we're going to call to call the mini bike the GoFart!

C9H13N03 - Thanks for your offer, I'll PM you shortly!

JDogg - I'll definitely post some pictures. Don't expect anything fancy, just operational!

Rockwall - I don't think it's ever going to cool off here! We're at what, 51 days over 100 so far? Forecast is at least 10 more day of the same?

3. You could have bought the same 8" kit from OldMiniBikes.com - Discount & Replacement Mini Bike Parts for $360 shipped to your door (10" kit available, too)... keep us in mind next time. :)

I agree. Plus I wouldn't give Go Karts USA the time of day:hammer: