New guy with a Red Baron

I recently picked up a Red Baron roller for a project. The frame will be stripped down and necessary parts repaired or replaced. I'm not interested in doing a factory correct restore. I want something reliable and fun without going overboard with $$$. I'm not opposed to buying new parts, but would rather spend the time making/repairing parts if it can save me some money

I am self employed doing metal fab and repair work so I have access to machining and welding equipment. I grew up racing karts on dirt, but haven't gotten into mini bikes before.

So far I plan on purchasing a Predator engine and comet series 20(?) torque converter. Looks like something will have to be done with the front forks because they are froze up and the flat triple tree plates are bent. I am open to repair/replace suggestions here. I will also have to replace the rear shocks. The fuel tank looks like someone attacked it with a hammer. I was thinking of splitting it at the seam and pounding out the dents unless one of you has a better idea.

The main question I have up front....is there any parts of the frame that should be beefed up or modified? This thing seems really flexible and light duty.

Welcome It's always good to see another Iowa member on the site , what part of the state do you live in ? Nice Speedway you have , I also have a few of the 14 inch wheeled Speedways they are a nice riding bike , although I don't have a Preditor on any of mine so I can't help you there , I am not a big fan of the motors so I only have a few bikes with them on . The HS50 moves it fine and the HS40's do a good job also . There is a guy on here named Speedway Guy he had new tanks for sale , search the for sale section for his add .

I'm up by E-burg Fat Boy.

Ok, I give up. How do you get these fork tubes out. I've got everything moving freely and the collars unscrewed.

Got the forks apart. It doesn't look good.
Would a solid fork (no suspension) be bad on this bike?
How about delrin bushings instead of ball bearings in the head tube?
Who has the best price on a 20 series converter with a 6" driven?

Engine is on it's way.

Nice bike! Start a thread in the project logs as you progress on the restoration. :thumbsup:
I'm glad you brought that up...

On other sites, my build thread and my ask questions thread are one in the same. Here, the way I understand it, we are supposed to have a project thread and start new threads for questions?
I guess that's one way to beef up the thread count and make a forum look more active than it is.

My bike specific questions will be here along with any progress pics to give the questions some context.

I was all excited that my parts showed up..... until I opened the box.

Engine looks good, but I think the seller screwed up my torque converter. I ordered a 20 series set up. Driven looks good with both faces angled. The driver looks like a 30 series with a flat inner face.:doah: I guess I'll send 'em a message...:hammer:

I like the look of the frame. Scale and proportions give it the appearance of a full size bike. What type of fabrication work do you do as a sole proprietor? I'll be following your build progress, good luck :thumbsup:

I split the tank and pounded out the dents. Then welded it back together. A little skim of bondo and some paint.
Rustoleum cobalt metalic blue with two coats of clear. There are some minor imperfections left, but I can live with 'em. It's a lot better looking than when I started.

I split the tank and pounded out the dents. Then welded it back together. A little skim of bondo and some paint.
Rustoleum cobalt metalic blue with two coats of clear. There are some minor imperfections left, but I can live with 'em. It's a lot better looking than when I started.
that is an amazing repair. You definitely have my attention now, can't wait to see your future builds/projects. Good Job.:thumbsup: