New Member Here

Howdy!

I started rebuilding old beat up Baja mini bikes over the last could years. Its addictive!

I have converted two of them to use electric. It gets expensive with electric (batterys, motor, controller).

Here are some pics of my builds.

almostdone.jpg Gastank.JPG cardinals2.jpg IMG_4251.JPG

Greetings..welcome..there's another Member that does electric minis..Voltron..jk.:smile:.. It's Electrathon..nice work..love to see a vid of one whizzing by

a little over a hour if you do not max out the throttle the whole time. It has mass torque takeoff, and goes 30mph.
I chnaged the gearing to 12t front sprocket to 72t rear. What I like about the Electric is that the kid can drive it around the neighborhood and not piss them off with a loud motor.

Its a 52v 20ah battery pack. I am going to make a custom fiberglass battery pack holder for it in place of the cheap triangle battery bag.

a little over a hour if you do not max out the throttle the whole time. It has mass torque takeoff, and goes 30mph.
I chnaged the gearing to 12t front sprocket to 72t rear. What I like about the Electric is that the kid can drive it around the neighborhood and not piss them off with a loud motor.

Its a 52v 20ah battery pack. I am going to make a custom fiberglass battery pack holder for it in place of the cheap triangle battery bag.
Very nice !!

Yeah same here. Its not worth the $ to do unless you really really love it.
It prob cost me about $1400 for the motor, controller, battery. So your normal Baja mini goes for $400-500, adding these components to resell it, you would never recoup your costs.

Here are the major purchases for the conversion:

Motor: motenergy/mars 4201
Controller: Kelly KLS7222H,24V-72V,220A SineWave Controller
Battery: 52v Samsung INR18650 25r 20ah 50a/80a max - Triangle battery (for ebike)
Motor Sprocket 12t - Rear Sprocket 72t

Its possible to go cheap and use a chinese controller, I would not recommend using SLA batteries as they are Heavy. Lithuim 18650's packs with a balancer on them are easy for plug and play charging. Expensive though. RC Lipo's are cheap, but you have to know what your doing or fire may happen!

Last edited:
Yeah I soon found out it's worth more in parts than as a whole.

If I lived in a neighborhood like that I might consider doing it to a mini but frankly I live in the sticks and can run a v8 drag truck with open headers at 1am with no problems. Toting a gallon of gas in the woods to get it back is easier than pushing it back to charge. I do like it and respect the work involved.