New member- Tumbleweed mini bike

PD13

Hi guys- thanks again. I think it was a riveted tag - will confirm tomorrow- and yes the fuel lines were painted - the left side cover is also white

markus

does it have a torque convertor (belt off engine)? The bike is an import and a few companies did badge and sell them under their names, there are usually small differences, but this will give you an idea (its a pretty god brochure shot at least)

This is the "Pony" version (canada),

Terra Products used them in the US, another version in north america I think was keystone. there are i'm sure a few more, can even get some info from the Deltek site in Australia for them If I am not mistaken as they badged and sold them too.

Sunday Update!

Engine ID plate is riveted on and yes it has a torque convertor- looks like the 333 or the 333S model above (did not measure the wheelbase- sorry)- looks like the same frame

photo 1 (1).JPG photo 2 (2).JPG

looks like the gas tank mount, shroud and air intake are a different tone of white. and the gas tank mount is almost brand new looking. not to mention the mount bolt heads look to have been tooled on. if all that even means anything.

Thanks- it's definitely had some fixes in it over the years- also has a homemade throttle setup off the original bell crank. But I think that Markus has it pretty close as it look like a rebadged pony bike- good thing is that I've been browsing thru the OldMiniBikes store and it looks like most of what I may need is there!

Well apparently there is no such thing as a Tumbleweed brand mini bike. At least in this case. Through some internet sleuthing I was able to contact Mr Bill Griggs, former owner of Tumbleweed Enterprises, via e-mail . I sent him some pics of the bike along with a request for some company back round info and this was his reply:

"Hi Gerry,

I was the owner of Tumbleweed Enterprise.
However, we did not make anything for mini bikes!

I invented the “Enduro Jug” which is a 1 quart canteen designed to attach to a dirt bike cross brace on the handlebar.
I invented other products as well, such as tool packs, tow straps etc. for dirt bikes. I came up with the name and designed the logo. The sticker on your mini bike is not related to the mini bike.

The owner probably bought an Enduro Jug for his dirt bike and gave his kid the sticker, who then put it on the mini bike.
That’s my best guess.

I sold the company in 1988 to Maier Manufacturing in Grass valley Calif.

Sorry, I cant help you with old mini bikes. I like the sticker on the front of it though! "

Bill

So a re-branded import bike as stated...the actual name it was sold under will probably remain a mystery unless you can find another decal or badge on it somewhere.(maybe under the Tumbleweed decal)

Thanks for all the research. We're really close as this is likely a pony (or equivalent) bike model 333. I like the sticker too much to remove it.

So I'll keep looking for more clues in a couple weeks as we tear the bike down and let you all know!

Paul

Hi guys!

OND- looks like the same setup that I have.

We tore apart the bike today and although it's all there, we're in need of some parts. Please let me know if you have advice or help where I can get these (I included parts from the OldMiniBikes website where I could find them):

1) carb kit for an automagic carb (Lawson products) for the 3hp Tecumseh motor- is it the Tecumseh OEM kit or the 631839 kit?
2) conical air filter - 30727 or OEM?
3) Brake shoes for the rear drum- I measured the drum ID at ~4-3/8. Saw a set of 4-1/2" on the website- not sure if they're the right size though...
4) jack shaft- the one that I have is damaged- will post a pic (looking at this, it may not be the original one...)
dimensions: 5/8 diameter, 3/16 keyway, grooves for circlips on ends and ~3" in for the drive gear- chain is #35 size
5) jack shaft pulley assembly- Horstman- the one that I have is damaged
6) fork spring inner bushings- look like nylon- .94" long, 1.01 OD, .89 ID
7) stem tube bushings- flanged nylon- 1.067 long, 1" OD, 5/8" shaft
8) drive belt- Terra Products 97577 DF
9) Head gasket- maybe 33015A from the store?

Thanks for your help in advance! Paul

photo (4).JPG

Last edited:
Hey guys! Looks like I was able to figure everything out for the bike. Thanks for your help. We should have it back together and running in a couple weeks