New old guy with an old project, Simplex Automatic

Been gone a while, sold the death trap and am now working on this.

I'm at the point of figureing out the drive line. The rear pully is 14", the largest pully I could put forward of it is 6" if needed. (see copper ring in pic) I plan on a jackshaft mount that uses the side of motor like this. Manco Go Kart Speed Reducer Kit Model 9981 | eBay
I see the charts that tell what size chain to use but nothing on belts. so, I could use that info.
Should I use a torque converter in front of the tire and solid chains on the motor?
Belt on both? 3/4" shaft, what sizes can I get away with? Campground use only.
Manco Go Kart Speed Reducer Kit Model 9981 | eBay
I also will need a carb for the 5 hp motor.

This model uses the frame as an exhaust, see the crossmember forward the motor. I would like to use that but will require an over the motor type system. Any ideas?

I have to make the side pannels that cover it all up if I cant findsome .

Last edited:
Neat project. I'd probably look at a flexible exhaust system to a welded in flange to bring the exhaust up. It wouldn't be out of place in a build of this nature.

Neat project. I'd probably look at a flexible exhaust system to a welded in flange to bring the exhaust up. It wouldn't be out of place in a build of this nature.
I just saw an add for some of that, and will probably go that way. The motor will be hidden anyway.
Thanks

Finally got some progress. Took the machine shop two months to make an axel. The thread is 7/16" x 26 tpi.
Thought I could do pix from phone, guess they come later

Front end must have met a tree, so off and apart it came

hardened grease, but good bearings

I thought green was stock, but I see some red hiding

Almost together.

pic of old axle, notice bearing race built in.

Got the rear back together temporarily, need to figure out what pully to use and location.

I thought I could use a pulley about this size, 6" I think, but a 4" is all that will fit.

Any idea what I should use up front for sprockets?