New old stock tecumseh

If that's a side popper, then it's exactly like the one I just bought. Had to buy another tank with the offset cap to fit my Lil Indian. I paid 200 but had to spend 50 in gas to go shag it from Southern N.H. I'm also wondering if this motor is part of the bunch mine came from that were purchased by that school in northern Vt. for shop class. If that's the case, the total running time may be close to correct. That could also explain the paint scuffing on some of those bolts. :shrug:

It's a rear exit exhaust.
I would be REAL careful buying any motor that was used for shop class. A few years ago I got my hands on about five brand new Briggs 3HP engines from a local high school. The kids tore them down and reassembled them, and man oh man what a mess. Backward pistons, carbs clocked wrong, upside down/busted/missing rings, case bolts in the connecting rods, etc. I was hoping to make at least one good engine out of the five, and they were all so messed up that it wasn't possible.
And none of them were ever fired, so technically they are "NOS"....

Mark, I hear you. I was a little concerned about buying a motor from a shop class myself, but after looking closely, it appeared the only things that were taken apart from mine were the shroud and the side casing. Had to show the kids something I guess. Interesting too that mine is a 79 as well but has the side exhaust? I don't get it. But, then again, I don't really know much about the history of these Tecs.

markus

It's a rear exit exhaust.
I would be REAL careful buying any motor that was used for shop class. A few years ago I got my hands on about five brand new Briggs 3HP engines from a local high school. The kids tore them down and reassembled them, and man oh man what a mess. Backward pistons, carbs clocked wrong, upside down/busted/missing rings, case bolts in the connecting rods, etc. I was hoping to make at least one good engine out of the five, and they were all so messed up that it wasn't possible.
And none of them were ever fired, so technically they are "NOS"....
:laugh: I found that too with a lot of 5 I bought. I was able to make 3 and some parts out of them. other than some missing parts/gaskets and cams way off timing they didnt trash anything though. If I ever have to get something fixed locally I'm gonna make sure the tech at the shop DID NOT go to the local high school :wink:

Sunny the one pictured for sale is an HS40, which only came rear exhaust, the small H series came either rear or side exhaust.