New Resto-Mod Project

DaddyJohn

I picked up this Trail Horse over the winter, and should be able to start my budget build here soon (they’re all budget builds, lol). So far, I ditched the little Briggs and weird seat pan that came on it, and ordered a new brake band for the rear wheel.

As far as engines, I’ve got a snowblower B&S 5hp sitting in it at the moment, but also have the option of an HS50, HSSK50, or an OHV Honda clone. Probably not an OHV engine, because it doesn’t look right, so that leaves a choice between Tec and B&S. I like working with Tecs better, FWIW…

Otherwise, I’m looking at taking the fenders off because the front isn’t correct and the rear is about to snap in half. Plan to try to shine the wheels up a little (not wasting forever polishing them to a T), put on some new diamond tread Hi-Run tires and tubes, and so on.

Anyone have any cool suggestions, or ideas for color? Tec engines I have are red or black, and I don’t plan to paint them. Paint selection will be Rustoleum, Krylon, etc.

Attachments

I’m not much of an artist or style guy but the blue on my cat and the dark red/burgundy that’s supposed to be on my old tt500 just seem to look right on minis. That looks like a good solid start and whatever you decide if you like it that’s all that matters. I’ve been looking at mini bike fenders on eBay and there’s quite a few on there that are very reasonable that you might be able to use.

Assuming you will have black tires and seat, silver wheels like the silver stickers on your engine, I would probably try to match the red on your engine.
I am not a painter and I have no imagination.

EDIT
I like Tec engines better, too but that "Self propelled" stick NEEDS to be there!

DaddyJohn

Assuming you will have black tires and seat, silver wheels like the silver stickers on your engine, I would probably try to match the red on your engine.
I am not a painter and I have no imagination.

EDIT
I like Tec engines better, too but that "Self propelled" stick NEEDS to be there!
I may not use the Briggs; not sure yet. I really like the key switch, but I’d have to ditch the snow box and come up with a throttle linkage and an air filter of some sort.

Lizardking

I’m sure it would look cool, but I’m more likely to stick with what’s there if it’s working well. So as to keep the investment low…:D
I hear you on keeping things under budget but that Horse deserves a little extra!

The shocks would be the "cool" part of your build!! A pair of 12" adjustable shocks can be found for a reasonable price on the web.

Sorry, I'm an enabler...... Don't mean to start spending your money but you did ask for something cool aside from engine and paint.

DaddyJohn

Here’s an update on the project. I stripped the frame down to the metal, primed it, and painted with Majic Rust Kill Orange paint from Tractor Supply. It’s got a nice gloss to it and applies very nicely. I also sanded the corrosion off the wheels, but found it much easier to paint them silver than to try to make them presentable by polishing (at least they’ll be preserved). I mounted some Hi-Run Diamond Tread tires from Lowe’s, using the old tubes (been holding air for weeks just fine) and fitted new bearings. I stripped the old paint from the forks and polished them as best I could with 0000 steel wool. The inner area had too much rust to bring it back, so I sanded that away and painted it silver inside. Getting ready to start reassembly, and will be using an HSSK50 Tecumseh engine. It’s got a black blower housing, and the rest of the engine is natural aluminum. I can paint the blower housing whatever color I want, but the recoil assembly would be hard to paint without disassembling it. :(

Attachments