new to me bird

I have a few questions - first was $80 bucks a bad $ for an almost complete (not original engine) bird?, i'm not for sure which model it is, but has a JCP/Bird id tag on the engine plate. only has slight surface ding/rust on it also has a "foremost" sticker on the handlebar plate.

in my desire to keep it original, or get it back to original I ask the following:

what was the original size motor? - I installed a running 3.5 hp tecumseh I had laying around.

In a picture I saw - there were 2 levers on the handle bars - mine only has one? - does have a scrub brake too...

it appears the color is some sort of gold? - anyone had luck in matching it?

looking for a chain guard as well..

I just had a replacement sprocket (54 tooth/41 pitch) installed on the original hub, and bought a new clutch/chain to match

any thoughts/comments/assistance would be helpful!:thumbsup:

gbones

pics would really help. try looking in the photos section at the top of the page, scroll down till you get to the bird album

Welcome to OldMiniBikes.....
$80.00 to me seems worth it for what you got.

2 1/2 to 3 1/2 HP engines were standard depending on which model you had. Pictures of yours would help.

I made my own chain guard for my "old" Foremost out of some sheet metal.

Cardboard template:

Transferred to sheetmetal:

Tin-snipped and bent on a vise:

1stlegendtx

Welcome to OldMiniBikes.....
$80.00 to me seems worth it for what you got.

2 1/2 to 3 1/2 HP engines were standard depending on which model you had. Pictures of yours would help.

I made my own chain guard for my "old" Foremost out of some sheet metal.

Cardboard template:

Transferred to sheetmetal:

Tin-snipped and bent on a vise:

:thumbsup:Looks good:thumbsup:

Looks like a good deal to me for $80.00. Complete with no missing parts.

I wonder why someone moved the gas tank from the front of the engine to the rear. I think with it facing towards the rear that it would block access to the choke and other components of the carburetor.

Good looking mini bike.

the scrub brake is hanging up, and I need to install some lock washers on the engine bolts to keep it from moving - but she runs and stops :scooter:
If the scrub brake is hanging up, you're probably missing the spring that keeps the top of the pad pulled back...

There's a coil spring that pulls the pad back and a formed spring along the back of the pad to tilt it up...