new to me: Heald VT7 build

Good morning all,

I have picked up what I believe is a Heald VT7 (15-6.0-6 front; 18-8.5-8 rear tire) mini.

Also went to HF and picked up a 60363 engine. Box and engine don't say 6.5, the receipt says 7hp. $99.99 so yay for that part!

Next step will be mounting. PO said I'll need to raise the engine so the carb misses the right side jackshaft brake cover. If anyone here has done this already, would 1.5" square tubing be good material to accomplish that?

This site has always provided interesting reading and good help!

heald VT7.JPG

I am not 100% sure...but what I thinks whats youse gots there is a VT-5.

Then again, maybe not lol. :shrug::laugh:

Doc

Last edited:
OK Doc, let's call it a VT-5. It sure looks like the bike in your avatar, so if that's a VT-5, then prolly so is mine. Are there numbers stamped somewhere on the frame that will be the last word?

After a few measurements, I can see the HF 60363 is not going in that hole without removing the tank, air filter and exhaust. So much for a quick and easy rider.

Any helpful advice?

It has the smaller back tire so its not a VT-7 ... 5 or 3?

As far as advice goes .. simplest most cost effective thing to do is remount the tank elsewhere ...
guys here know how do do it ... do a search ...
Hooking up throttle linkage is doable with a kit from OldMiniBikes ...
Eric Adams, CarPlayLB is very helpful ... try help@OldMiniBikes.com

The throttle linkage is already there. You can take the tank off and strap it on top of the frame. Header kit and air filter. I usually use a block of aluminum to raise the engines but whatever works.

You will need to raise motor 1 inch and move motor 2 inchs forward. You will also want to cut the left side of jackshaft corner to clear the motor. This will need a longer belt which is a 2 inchs longer. Your center to center on torque converter will be 9 1/2-9 5/8" there is a belt available. Ithink it is 203591. The bike you are working on is a VT5. I will look for some pictures of the ones i have done with a hemi on it

Great pix! now I'm inspired to put this together. I noticed mine has chrome fenders, a front brake, and a speedo drive. Would these all have been options on the VT-5?

here's what I'm going to use as a quiet muffler for the hemi that's going in the Heald. Just need to decide how many holes I'm going to put in it. Thinking about thirty 3/16 holes around the bottom face to give the same area as a 1" pipe. Anybody done the used fire extinguisher muffler before? allstate muffler.JPG

Last edited:
while the frame forks and wheels are at the powder coater, a few questions:

Do you have scans of the Heald Trail Bronc assembly manual or parts manual - whichever shows where washers and other stuff goes?

Do you have a recommended source for the belt I will need?

Are the TAV cover and brackets something I need to fab up, or do you carry those parts?

Thanks for the inspiration and the help on this, I'm going with silver powdercoat with everything else either black or chrome.

JohnP

The belt you can get at. The beltpalace.com
I have assembly manuals $12 shipped
I made the mounts and cover. I can make you brackets and cover. It might be a couple weeks to get them done.