New toy ~ Harrison Wildcat

New to the site, just thought Id post up about my recent purchase for $80.00, what I believe to be a Harrison Research Wildcat, year unknown. Has a few issues but most of it is all there. The handlebars look wrong or funky to me but maybe they are correct? Also, did these come with torque converters stock or only on certain models? Thinking about buying a torq-a-verter setup for it because it's already missing the engine clutch(maxi-torque?) and chain so good as time as any to go the torq-a-verter route now and spend the money on that. Or would I be better off useing the standard Maxi-torque and chain setup?

Hey guys, at this point Id appreciate any info or direction I should take on this project and any other interesting info like year or model number would be great! Oh yeah, need a throttle cable for it as well!

Last edited:

oldsledz

Nice bike that one is from the first year they made them, from what I have been told.
But I don't know what year they started.

Nice bike that one is from the first year they made them, from what I have been told.
But I don't know what year they started.
If that is Harrison's first year bike, maybe it would be a good idea to keep it all stock and repaint it with the stock color? Would it be worth it or are they not very desireable?

oldsledz

They don't seem to bring much money the latter ones anyway , I don't know if being the first year adds much value The only one I have seen sell is the one I have and it was on criagslist not from a collector.

oldsledz

It looks like you are close to Frank in Livonia I think he has the right handle bars for that bike and probably every thing else you need for it. Frank also knows a lot about the Harrison/Ruttman bikes.

It looks like you are close to Frank in Livonia I think he has the right handle bars for that bike and probably every thing else you need for it. Frank also knows a lot about the Harrison/Ruttman bikes.
Livonia isnt too far from me at all, half hour or 45 minuits from me. What is his(Franks) name or ID on here? Id love to talk with him for sure. Decided to strip it all down and powdercoat the frame and go through the engine and do some light to moderate mods and maybe a TAV if I can find one, since I need a clutch anyway.

Already LOVE this site! Great info to be found here! :clap:

oldsledz

Frank owns Mathison Supply in Livonia, it's a hardware store with a lot of mini bike parts , you may even call it a mini bike museum. as far as I know he don't use internet.

I will PM his phone number.

He is one of the people putting on the show in Ann arbor this Sunday.

Last edited:
Looks like a 69 or 70.
The Handlebars are correct believe it or not. Have seen 4 of these with those exact bars with the furels(sp) like that.
You are missing the nice SalisbairyTorque Converter / belt driven setup where the rear sprocket would actually be on the other side.

They are real nice bikes. Nice score for $80

I bought/sold one that exact color with an old snow ski.

The handle bars are from a bicycle, they are the right style but should not have the spot in the center for a bicycle goose neck.
I could be wrong but 4 of the early Wildcats I saw in person had the exact same Handlebars.
I thought the same thing too. I highly doubt all 4 went out and bought the same Bars, call me crazy!:anon.sml:

This one would make 5 with the "bicycle" bars!

EDIT: here is the one I had - Lookie same bars.....

Last edited:

oldsledz

I have seen them both ways and thought the ones with bicycle bars had been changed but maybe not?
I will try to remember to ask Frank at the show Sunday, he would probably know.

Yeah they are pretty nice ones to have. They are fairly rare and pretty desirable. You STOLE that bike for 80 bucks. The first two digits of the (code) number on the engine shroud is the year the engine was made. I would say the forks actually look right to me, I think they are just repaired maybe.. The seat looks nice, the chrome should clean up... You got a really good deal.. One thing they will tell you here is it's not an appraisal site.. They can't give you a value because the market fluctuates so much depending on what dingdong is watching ebay that week and all kinds of factors... But me personally I believe the price tag would be 350 for what you have not running needs paint exact same machine.. I mayyyy dicker down a little but I would be DAMN firm at 300 I think.. It's hard to find any old bike that complete anymore.. It will run and drive with very little work... That one is a little nicer than a Ruttman or Lil Indian or something similar because there are millions of them around here and yours is a little larger and more comfy ride too... :wink:

Yeah they are pretty nice ones to have. They are fairly rare and pretty desirable. You STOLE that bike for 80 bucks. The first two digits of the (code) number on the engine shroud is the year the engine was made. I would say the forks actually look right to me, I think they are just repaired maybe.. The seat looks nice, the chrome should clean up... You got a really good deal.. One thing they will tell you here is it's not an appraisal site.. They can't give you a value because the market fluctuates so much depending on what dingdong is watching ebay that week and all kinds of factors... But me personally I believe the price tag would be 350 for what you have not running needs paint exact same machine.. I mayyyy dicker down a little but I would be DAMN firm at 300 I think.. It's hard to find any old bike that complete anymore.. It will run and drive with very little work... That one is a little nicer than a Ruttman or Lil Indian or something similar because there are millions of them around here and yours is a little larger and more comfy ride too... :wink:
the only way to valu a mini is to talk to chumley or cory :smile::smile:

The bars sure are the same, that frame is newer than the one gpxsrxracer has.

gpxsrxracer, where do you race the Yamaha's?
I race them on Anchor bay, I havent for a couple years. Are you into sleds? Do you ever go to Vintagesleds.com? I have 4 GPX433G's(1975), a 79 srx with a vmax600 engine in it, thats my drag sled, I have had 76 440 srx's and 78SSR 440 engine, 77 8F2 440 engines and frames, I have a 79 440 exciter...I got alot of crap just sitting around. Even have had my fair share of GYT kits with pipes and fuel injection and cylinders/heads for my GPX's but sold alot of it off.

Now I bought this minibike so im into minibikes now! lol. Had a very similar one back 20 or so years ago, but I think it was a Ruttman long frame, very similar to what I have now. Long seat ect.

I also have 2 yamaha RD's a RD250a and a Rd350 and a RD400 engine and Bassani pipes and J&R pipes too...too much crap!