Newb with an MBX10 project

So I found this site by searching google for parts looked like something I needed. I am not a motor/engine guy I'm more electronics, computer, communications and outdoor things that don't require gas. I picked up an Motovox MBX10 at the flea market for $50, I knew the condition it was in and the work/money involved to start with. I am at work so no pictures right this second but I figured I'd ask the first couple questions I need answered so I can order stuff.

What works:
Wheels, great condition
Frame is only missing seat and front fender.
Engine for the most part is complete, I am trouble shooting it and it may need a spark plug, and some TLC.
Brakes missing cable only.

What doesn't
I broke the pull cable right before I came to work, easy fix I know.
Cover for the air filter.
Cables for both brakes and throttle.
Throttle itself is bent and not very functional(the part that connects to the engine, not the handle).
The chain needs some serious adjusting when I roll the bike it locks the wheel up I haven't determined weather or not the sprocket is bent or just the tensioner needs adjusted.

So my first question what is the part that connects to the engine that the throttle cable connects to called?!? I always thought it was just the throttle, but apparently for parts purposes the throttle is the handle bar part. I've heard them called carb throttles and butterfly throttles as well, but can not find this as a part.

Is there a diagram for this bike showing the parts? I am having an issue with one of the "caps" the one with two cylinders coming up(I think this is where the oil gets poured in) is cross threaded and I have no idea what it is even called. There is no dipstick on this at all for oil. I downloaded the manual for it but it's not really helpful. I've found most the parts I need minus the cap and throttle and it's not going to cost me much at all.

Even though I'm not a motor guy I am a fast learner and throughout my life I've been able to fix anything I can find info on. I fixed many a generator in the middle of nowhere with the basic manual and a gerber multi-tool. This can't be much harder.

Brooklyn Bob

Welcome to the minibike madness. The throttle cable connects to the throttle linkage to the carb. One option is the 100.00 predator motor from Harbor Freight. Good bang for your buck.

Welcome..pics would be helpful ..sounds like you got a decent roller(frame and good tires) I wouldn't spend a dime on the motor..throw $200 at it..motor,clutch,seat,chain and cables you'll have a nice little hot rod with total of $250 or so in it..

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!
Sounds almost like the one I bought recently. It too was a basket case pretty much. Bad tires, spent wheel bearings, broken throttle cable, missing parts... just to name a few things. It was ridden hard with little to no maintenance.
I got it back together. The little 79cc engine was in good shape, but I don't plan on putting any more money into it. However, I did have to replace the air filter and recoil.

Like suggested, go for the HF 212cc Predator engine. Even stock without a header, jetting, and free flow air cleaner, it will knock your socks off.
That's what I plan on doing soon.

Good luck! :scooter:

Last edited: