Newb with with CT70 Build

Hello all,

New to this forum but not new to forums, I hope to follow the rules and I am open to advice, input, whatever, if you dont like it thats fine but dont needlessly hate. I am hoping to document my slow build of my recently acquired 1973 Honda Trail 70.
Starts with a story that started last year and two friends who rebuilt and restored 2 CT70s, I wanted one but ended up with a Honda CL90 instead. Drove to Idaho one afternoon to pick up a blue and red one with a friend and now he owns both.
Mine was the red one here:

Wasnt my fancy so I sold it which brings me to this spring...picked up a '78 Puch Maxi 2 HP moped in good condition last Friday:

Found a guy on craigslist who was selling a Trail 70, called him up and traded the Puch for the CT70! Bike is 95% there, not running and the head and cylinder are off it but look like there are in good shape. Ill get a pick up later tonight when I have some time.
Plans are:
Naked bike look without front fender possibly nothing on rear as well, Lifan 125CC 4 up engine swap, new harness, cables, red rims, white walls, satin black paint, white pinstriping, etc etc. I know I am new to the forum but if you need parts for a bike message me and I can hook you up with the parts I wont be using on the build.

Last edited:
Well I snapped some crappy iphone pics while I was in the shop today, make sure you check out the super lame / ferocious rear fender haha got to go!

The engine seems to be in good shape other than needing new valves, oil was in it, turns over, shifts, plastic covered it up and was stored in doors so I think its good. PO said it ran but was loosing power and he took it apart and found the valves needed to be done.
My friend did a 110 Lifan in his CT and it moves, another guy did a 140 Lifan and is actually not nearly as fast, we also did a CT90 last summer with a Lifan 125CC I think and it is auto with electric start...talk about a horrible wiring and mount experience haha not an easy swap!