Newbie from Lake Alfred Fl

Dropping in to say Hi,I'm starting a restore on a manco thunderbird.have a few questions on years of production. I was told it's been sitting for 15 years.

markus

Manco started to use the "thunderbird" name in the later 1980's when they took over the line from Bird/Phoenix. They used that name for like 20 years. Judging by the decaling and recoil you have on the picture you posted up I would say its around a 1994 built bike. look for stamping on the top of the shroud and look at the last group of numbers on the right, If it is not stamped the look for a decal on the lower back side of the shroud (under the throttle assy) look for the DOM code.

the first digit in either that last group of numbers from the stamp or the DOM is the year it was built. The three numbers following it are the day of the year it was made.

Example: 3001xx = January 1st 1993. That gets you pretty close to the time the bike was finished by Manco and ready to sell.

Last edited:

markus

Thank you for the info...I'll be posting progress..
Good luck with it :thumbsup: I would be curious to know what the date is on the engine when you do start on it to see how close I got :laugh: Been working on quick reference for getting a general idea of era and size of Tecumseh's for when I am out at swapmeets or looking at things online. from research I think the shroud decal was roughly between 1990-end of 1995.