Newbie question

This afternoon I was removing the carb from a mini Baja and disconnected this part, I'm really new to all this and was wondering if someone could tell me what this part is and where it runs to. It runs to a box with 'OHV' printed on it.
Sorry if it's a stupid question, we all start somewhere.
Thanks everyone! 20170730_191422.jpg

noseoil

As was already stated above, it's a vent tube & catch tank. On these small motors, the crankcase is constantly changing pressure due to the piston traveling up & down in a closed space. The tube is basically an atmospheric vent which allows the rapidly changing pressure/vacuum cycle in the crankcase to equalize itself as the motor runs. Most cars have some type of PCV valve (positive crankcase ventilation) which does the same thing to expel hot vapors.

The funny looking up & down thing is a home made "trap" for oil vapors & droplets to condense & fall to the bottom of the lower line. It's really more of a "mist" of hot oil which is wandering around the motor as it spins. Because there isn't a real oil pump in these motors, they rely on a dipper attached to the connecting rod which slings oil all over the place to lubricate the motor. Hopefully, some of it gets where it needs to be at all times...

Sorry for the long-winded post, but the coffee seems to be working now.

As was already stated above, it's a vent tube & catch tank. On these small motors, the crankcase is constantly changing pressure due to the piston traveling up & down in a closed space. The tube is basically an atmospheric vent which allows the rapidly changing pressure/vacuum cycle in the crankcase to equalize itself as the motor runs. Most cars have some type of PCV valve (positive crankcase ventilation) which does the same thing to expel hot vapors.

The funny looking up & down thing is a home made "trap" for oil vapors & droplets to condense & fall to the bottom of the lower line. It's really more of a "mist" of hot oil which is wandering around the motor as it spins. Because there isn't a real oil pump in these motors, they rely on a dipper attached to the connecting rod which slings oil all over the place to lubricate the motor. Hopefully, some of it gets where it needs to be at all times...

Sorry for the long-winded post, but the coffee seems to be working now.
No that was an awesome description! I now understand.so follow up, do these engines have oil/fuel filters? Cause that's what I thought it was at first

gbabins1

No oil filter but there is a small fuel filter where the fuel line attaches to the tank.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk