No governor hooked up- Is this ok if I'm careful?

philbo

Hi guys, thanks for any input. I'm not really familiar with mini bikes.

I picked up a used 2010 Baja Warrior with a 196cc engine, all stock I assume but the linkage has been changed. The throttle cable goes directly to the carb and the linkage to the governor arm is missing.

Is this ok to run like this if I don't go crazy revving it? :shrug:

The issue before I got it is a valve snapped and the previous owner replaced it. Was this as result from not having a governor? :shrug: He said he was going pretty fast when the valve snapped, he claimed 65mph :eek:ut: but I doubt that. Or was he really going that fast ungoverned? :confused:

Thanks for any input. :smile:

65mph on a stock, ungoverned clone? Did he actually snap the valve off at the stem, or did he just break a valve spring?

People dump a couple grand or more into their bikes to get them up to that speed (safely). Like... decent used car money. Or ultra-nice boomstick money.

IMHO, as long as you don't crank on the throttle as hard as you can for as long as you can all of the time, you should be OK. Being all stock, I sincerely doubt it'll be dangerous to YOU, but I really couldn't guarantee longevity.

If you're the type that just wants to putter around on it, I doubt you'd have problems. If you want to beat the tar out of it... then yeah... there could be an issue I suppose.

philbo

Sounds cool, thanks for the reply boomstick. :thumbsup:

He said he broke a valve and it cost him like $65 from Baja Motorsports? No idea, just going by what he said. The exhaust valve didn't look new from looking at it from the exhaust port with the muffler off. I'll take off the carb to do some work and see what the intake valve looks like from there. The intake valve was the one that was held open so I had no compression. He said he replaced the valve but didn't know how to adjust it.

Just trying to figure this mini bike out. Will have to sort out the throttle cable. The way it is it just doesn't look safe and I don't see how it could actually effectively operate the carb.

Yeah, I doubt the guy was doing 65mph. He said he was passing cars on the highway. Maybe they were in the break down lane... :eek:ut:

Thanks again!

Last edited:

toomanytoys

my concern honestly wouldn't be you riding it if you are careful.

But what damage or weakening of the fly wheel that has already happened?

Being neutered by a flywheel would suck.

Sounds cool, thanks for the reply boomstick. :thumbsup:

He said he broke a valve and it cost him like $65 from Baja Motorsports? No idea, just going by what he said. The exhaust valve didn't look new from looking at it from the exhaust port with the muffler off. I'll take off the carb to do some work and see what the intake valve looks like from there. The intake valve was the one that was held open so I had no compression. He said he replaced the valve but didn't know how to adjust it.

Just trying to figure this mini bike out. Will have to sort out the throttle cable. The way it is it just doesn't look safe and I don't see how it could actually effectively operate the carb.

Yeah, I doubt the guy was doing 65mph. He said he was passing cars on the highway. Maybe they were in the break down lane... :eek:ut:

Thanks again!

Yeah, from what I've seen, it looks like purpose-built drag minis will do 65mph +. People dump tons of hard work & cash into those. 65mph is haulin'-ass-gettin'-paid speed on a mini.

Passing cars on the highway, huh? Is he sure it wasn't a residential street and those cars were parked on the side of the road? :wink:

:thumbsup: Yes sir, that's what I am thinking. Why not replace it since (1) it might be damaged already and (2) it makes the governor question moot.
That's a good question as well... although, if the damage is severe enough, would it just be worth getting a new Predator or the like for a $100 bill? Seems pretty hard to go wrong with that, and at least it's new.

Hell, a used one in good shape is probably $50 or so...

I'm just thinking from the perspective of how much work it's going to be vs how much money is going to be dumped into it. Why bust your balls & spend money on an engine that's had it's ass run off, when you can pick up a decent engine ready to go for a measly $100 bill?

I had a guy bring me a Motovox that he blew the magnets out of the flywheel on.. He said it was winding pretty good when it went.. Almost took out the coil.. That china shit is chinsy man.. :laugh:

He said he broke a valve and it cost him like $65 from Baja Motorsports?
should pretty much just disregard anything else he said before or after this... a new ss valve is about $15... stock ones cheaper (around $7)...

as far as safety, I like the billet parts... i dont feel comfortable riding the way i do, or letting my family ride it, without more "insurance" against failure...

someone else suggested a new predator, i would say the same. you could buy one part and it not be the problem... unless you break it down and diagnose it yourself, i wouldnt trust it or the previous owner... 65mph stock motor, stock rear wheel, clutch 12t?, stock sprocket?... did a hell of a lot (20mph) faster than my test run with the db's first motor (not stock)/sprocket setup...

Hi guys. Thanks for all the replies and concerns. I'm learning a lot from you guys! Thanks much!

Yeah. I know this isn't the best engine in The world but so far it's just the cost if the bike ($100) and a headlight for $8.75 which I would get regardless of the engine. No cost into the engine itself so far.

I'll definitely take a looksey at the fly wheel and see if its cracked it anything. I got the valve adjustment sorted out and the engine has compression now. It's kind if fun tryin to take something that isnt working and getting it to work. Going to play with the throttle linkage next. I got some ideas to fab up an arm to put on the throttle.

Besides if I can get this running I have until November 30 to fool with this engine. That's when the sale on the predator engine ends. :laugh:

Thanks again for the help guys!

Hi guys. Thanks for all the replies and concerns. I'm learning a lot from you guys! Thanks much!

Yeah. I know this isn't the best engine in The world but so far it's just the cost if the bike ($100) and a headlight for $8.75 which I would get regardless of the engine. No cost into the engine itself so far.

I'll definitely take a looksey at the fly wheel and see if its cracked it anything. I got the valve adjustment sorted out and the engine has compression now. It's kind if fun tryin to take something that isnt working and getting it to work. Going to play with the throttle linkage next. I got some ideas to fab up an arm to put on the throttle.

Besides if I can get this running I have until November 30 to fool with this engine. That's when the sale on the predator engine ends. :laugh:

As long as the flywheel isn't cracked, chipped, or otherwise exhibiting any characteristics of physical abuse, I sincerely doubt you'd have a problem.

Just ride it until the old motor finally does let go... I wouldn't stomp on it all the time, but I don't know if the stock valvetrain would let it rev high enough to grenade.

Might as well get a little use out of the beaten unit before getting rid of it. :wink:

sounds like that engine has been put through the ringer. hes lucky the valve floated before the flywheel or rod broke. but if it runs it runs. should be ok just dont do what he did

Like others have said. It does run and if no issues, enjoy the bike. As far as the sales at HF. when i bought my first pred in Ca, there was no sale, i asked for the special price, they gave it to me. My bro picked up a hemi for me in AZ, he had no coupon and they still honored the discount. If it lasts longer than nov 30, u can politely ask for the discount and they may give it. Doesnt hurt to ask.

For $109 total. Enjoy the bike. Ride safe

Thanks for the all the advice and encouragement guys. Much appreciated.

I actually haven't got it running. Just only to the point where it started to sputter as i had to go to work, so I assume it'll start up with some coaxing. Hopefully. We'll see...

It was late last night so I didn't try to start it but the plastic fins on examination look good. I did see in the intake and the intake valve does look new. Got the headlight mounted and made a choke lever and sorting out the throttle linkage. Got the rear brake unfrozen and adjusted.

Yeah. I'm not going to beat on the engine. Just putter around on it and have fun. :smile:

Thanks for the all the advice and encouragement guys. Much appreciated.

I actually haven't got it running. Just only to the point where it started to sputter as i had to go to work, so I assume it'll start up with some coaxing. Hopefully. We'll see...

It was late last night so I didn't try to start it but the plastic fins on examination look good. I did see in the intake and the intake valve does look new. Got the headlight mounted and made a choke lever and sorting out the throttle linkage. Got the rear brake unfrozen and adjusted.

Yeah. I'm not going to beat on the engine. Just putter around on it and have fun. :smile:

Good plan :thumbsup:

Besides, puttering around on it will give you a good bit of time to figure out the way you're gonna ride the thing, and what you can build off of it. Do you want a super comfortable putter-around-the-block bike, or do you want a balls-to-the-wall bike?

Being that I'm more of a car guy and new to mini bikes I'll be safer puttering until I get bored but my limited finances will steer me clear of any major speed parts in the near future. :laugh:

IJG

Stock motor

I do at least 29-32 on my stock Motovox & doodle bug with a linkage Bar that stops the governor from kicking in so early.
I drive them about 10 miles, most of the time full throttle.
My Motovox Gas tank just disintegrated, the center seams leaked'
So I took the fuel filter and trashed it. The doodlebug gas tank is still holding gas but 2 mounting flanges are broken. it's now mounted on front of my seat.
Cheap is never good. I will always recommend to Buy the better product's!
Good luck with yo're project man.

Last edited: