No negative feedback on the Bay for deadbeats?

I had two non paying bidders in the last two weeks on Ebay. So, I go through the motions and open a "case." They don't pay and I get my fees credited. I go to leave negative feedback and now you can no longer do that? What the hell is the point? Maybe it's been like this and I had no idea? I normally have no issues as a seller. Must have been my turn to get shafted...:eek:ut:

It's relatively new, it might be so buyers aren't scared to leave negative feedback as they think they would get it in return for leaving it. eBay typically is more generous to buyers, but they do protect sellers too. I've had them give me money back from a chargeback before.

Hent

I think it's been like that for a while. I'm pretty sure it was put in place because sellers would hold feedback "hostage" until the buyer left them positive.

Even though you can't leave them negative, it does put a strike on their account. :shrug:

Its been that way for over two years. I have no problem leaving a seller good feedback, its getting them to do the same I've had problems with lately. If a seller screws me over I will not hesitate to leave negative feedback and I tell them why!

Hent

Its been that way for over two years. I have no problem leaving a seller good feedback, its getting them to do the same I've had problems with lately. If a seller screws me over I will not hesitate to leave negative feedback and I tell them why!
From what I can tell... 2008 :shrug:

On the other hand, there are sellers that send the wrong part to you but want you to pay the return shipping on there mistake to get your refund. I am going through this now and have a case open on it. But I might as well keep the wrong battery so I don't loose more money and have no battery. I hope I can give him negative feedback.

As far as I know this is the way its always been. ITs the #1 reason why I dont sell there anymore. Dead beat buyers and the inability to leave them my thoughts. Yet as a "buyer" they can say whatever they may please. Its BS. I think im going to start a patition.:laugh:

125ccCrazy

On the other hand, there are sellers that send the wrong part to you but want you to pay the return shipping on there mistake to get your refund. I am going through this now and have a case open on it. But I might as well keep the wrong battery so I don't loose more money and have no battery. I hope I can give him negative feedback.
just went through this myself, bought tail lights for a car, one was broke so I had to pay to send them back..I end up with nothing and $15 in the hole... Paypal has the same return policy...I bought some "new" Briggs blocks off an idiot on the karting forum, both were very used, both cool bore and not steel bore, etc etc... I had to pay to ship them back and not reimbursed for the shipping... unfortunately the buyer gets screwed when the seller rips them off...the seller might get a neg feedback but the buyer takes it in the wallet....

^ wow that's no good. I'm really surprised. So if you open a dispute as a buyer through Paypal, they make you pay the return shipping in order to get a replacement part or credit?

markus

minibikin' set your bidder preferences so you have to have a paypal account in order to bid, That quickly stops alot of the doucebags that pull the flim-flam bidding. Lifes been a bit easier since I did that. You can always go back and allow someone to bid on the item so if somebody is on the up and up really wants that item and does not meet your requirements all they have to do is contact you.

This policy went into effect around 2008...........about the same time I quit selling there.

At that time I had been there since 2002 and had over 2800 feedbacks. That equates to about 3500 transactions since so many folks just don't leave you feedback. That is a LOT of money I made for Ebay, selling mainly gun parts and out board motor parts.

This policy (as are many of Ebay's policies) is ridiculous.:eek:ut:

Sellers take it in the eye from deadbeat bidders and Ebay provides no help other than refunding your seller fees after a drawn out process.

I started to sell there again there last year but they NOW have a policy that you CANNOT accept money orders or cashiers checks as payment for the item you sell. SELLERS MUST ACCEPT PAYPAL (also owned by Ebay). You cannot even mention the word cash or check or money order or they will pull your ad and give you a "mark" against your seller account.

It just means more money in Ebay's pockets for every sale.

ALSO........negative feedback or anything less than a "Five Star" rating in any category penalizes sellers. It makes a seller's ads appear further down the page in any search results. They also charge sellers higher fees if they have negative feedbacks or less than five stars.

They also "End Weight" your feedback, meaning that if you have great feedback and lots of it from several years ago, one RECENT negative can bring your score down MUCH more than it should mathematically.

This means that people like me with a long history of selling there can in ONE transaction, with a nimwit, deadbeat can have their feedback permanently damaged.

All this garbage and other such rules are spelled out on their seller pages but you must really dig for it. It really is in the fine print.

Rant over.......lol.:hammer:

Regards, Brad

I relished the kart today and I put "relisted due to deadbeat bidder" in the first line of the auction. As soon as I hit submit it kicked it back saying I cannot slander a bidder for not paying.
Seriously?? That guy got off Scott free.
If a buyer started a dispute over something I sold, Paypal would freeze my account until it was resolved which usually means refunding them their money right or wrong.
Thanks for all of the insight everyone. I'm gonna modifying seller dashboard a little and hope for the best.

This means that people like me with a long history of selling there can in ONE transaction, with a nimwit, deadbeat can have their feedback permanently damaged.
It doesn't permanently effect your rating. After a year the negative comment doesn't lower your score. I've had around 10,000 transactions on Ebay as a seller with only one negative. I was at 99.9% positive with that one and it recently went back to 100% even though that negative is still there.

The negative I got was undeserved as well. I sent a motorcycle seat to Brazil and it got "lost" when it hit their postal system there. I gave the buyer a full refund (cost of seat + shipping) and he still gave me a negative. I've had way too many problems when shipping to South America and won't send any parts there any more.

As a seller it does suck not being able to leave negative feedback. If you go through the process with Ebay the buyer's account will get dinged. If they keep pulling that shit they will be banned.

eBay Feedback Profile for mcguire-hd

If you look at that my negative still shows, but I'm at 100%.

MB165

guys, ive had many of these same problems selling....in fact im done as a seller, the final value fees are too high, then they force you to use paypal....another joke. the tables are turned and the buyers know what they can get away with.

125ccCrazy

^ wow that's no good. I'm really surprised. So if you open a dispute as a buyer through Paypal, they make you pay the return shipping in order to get a replacement part or credit?
yep the buyer gets screwed out of return shipping and paypal won't release any refund until after you provide proof of tracking and delivery....

as mentioned above, set the auction as a Buy it Now and have it set so they buyer has to make immediate payment or the items stays up for sale....they can't hit BIN and not pay...

as a seller on ebay the fees are rediculous... I sold an item recently for $55 plus shipping.... by the time ebay and paypal got their fees it was nearly 20% since they charged me additional fees for the shipping both on ebay and paypal.... if your selling something for $10 or $20 you might as well just put it on there for free... hate to say it but whatever your listing for sale add at least 10% to what you really want for it so you don't end up in the hole.....

You can bitch all you want about Feebay but as far as the max exposure for your product you can't beat it. As 125cc said just add 10-15% on top of your wanted price and your good to go.

Last edited:
You can bitch all you want about Feebay but as far as the max exposure for your product you can beat it. As 125cc said just add 10-15% on top of your wanted price and your good to go.
You're right about the exposure. I usually list stuff here first for a few days and off it goes to the Bay...