no spark HS-40 on 2 different motors?

I'm lost here. new points, condenser, coil. the 2 of them done at different times.
the spark is their but super weak. what was done... new crank seal (still leaks) timing set to .035* Before TDC,
points set to. .020 tried new old stock condensers new aftermarket condensers. the magnets are strong ''composite'' type.
the coils are aftermarket and the original. I've worked on these all my life. and remember you could get a spark jump 1/2"
pretty easily. now I have to crank the engine with a hand drill at high speed to get a good spark. so, a pull cord will not cut it.
what am I missing??? I need this to run. it's for an MDT with a slanted engine plate and diaphragm carburetor.
which is working good for a change.

I made some governor shaft bushings that worked out very well thanks to the post here, Thanks to all for the help!
PS. where can one buy reliable parts. I'm very suspect of aftermarket stuff on Ebay.

Last edited:

Triley41395

I'm lost here. new points, condenser, coil. the 2 of them done at different times.
the spark is their but super weak. what was done... new crank seal (still leaks) timing set to .035* Before TDC,
points set to. .020 tried new old stock condensers new aftermarket condensers. the magnets are strong ''composite'' type.
the coils are aftermarket and the original. I've worked on these all my life. and remember you could get a spark jump 1/2"
pretty easily. now I have to crank the engine with a hand drill at high speed to get a good spark. so, a pull cord will not cut it.
what am I missing??? I need this to run. it's for an MDT with a slanted engine plate and diaphragm carburetor.
which is working good for a change.

I made some governor shaft bushings that worked out very well thanks to the post here, Thanks to all for the help!
PS. where can one buy reliable parts. I'm very suspect of aftermarket stuff on Ebay.
Maybe a different brand or different run of plugs. If you used 2 new plugs out of the same box Maybe try different ones.

markus

if you have a multi meter run it between ground wire and plug wire (secondary windings) and you should be right around the 8k ohm range. I just had a brand new out of the box OEM Tecumseh give me fits on a rebuild, It would not jump spark in the window of a spark tester, but a plug would show a tiny, very faint spark. Its primary (across the ground and points wires) was fine if Recall, but I got 15k on the secondary. I threw an old used coil on with 8k reading and had nice big fat spark jumping in the window of the tester and big bright fat on the plug........was pretty upset since it was a genuine OEM part.....I threw it in the box of Aftermarkets that do the same thing......nothing :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone! so yes today measured 8.6k on secondary the other two wires were maybe 5 ohms i'm guessing its crappy coils
I get 0.3 uf on all the caps. i.ve sent out fellers for some oem coils on the bay, the ones with brown potting on the bottom not black all around
hoping to get something that works. i'm somewhat desperate. I have a brand new in the box 6.5 grayhound but it's too big.

the only thing that I didn't do was clean the aluminum post holding the coil going to do that now
does anyone know how many ohms the primary should be i'm only getting about one ohm maybe 1/2 that .5 ohms

Triley41395

No dice :mad:o_O I ordered two coils from the bay from different sellers. now we wait.......
Is the flywheel original to this engine? I'm not a motor expert but could a incorrect flywheel be the issue? I'm just wondering what could cause your problem because it seems you have changed the parts around enough to get a good one. Someone here would know if an incorrect flywheel to coil gap could cause weak spark. Just throwing this out there incase it's possible.

First and foremost, thank you all for helping me.
the fly wheel is kind of strange it has plastic fins and those cheap composite magnets.
on top of that the shaft is short changed keeps striping the nut. Just enough to hold the cup without a washer
I really believe this is a Frankenstein motor built from assorted parts found under a rock somewhere. the spark is intermittent.
and weak. received one coil today but it was a scam as far as I can tell. pics showed a brown bottom, so I fell for it. I'm not even going to try and installing it. :mad: tomorrow the other coil should be here. o_O