No Spark on Sachs Saxonette

I just pulled out my Arctic Cat Prowler from storage and i'm not able to get any spark when pulling the recoil.

I remember hosing it down after a muddy day of riding about 15 years ago, and was never able to get it started after that...

I've pulled off the flywheel to take a look at the magneto, but I honestly don't know where to begin on the trouble shooting. Any help is greatly appreciated!

IMG_1777.JPG

MB165

get a new spark plug, make sure the point gap is correct and clean. the contacts could have oxidized from the wash water. test the condenser, if it tests good hopefully it will spark....put a new condenser at the top of your list of things to replace, electrolytic capacitors over 30 years old should not be trusted, (even nos). one coil is for the lights and the other for the ignition. they are most likely good. if the point and condenser check out, test the ignition coil and charge coil. check that stuff out hopefully you wont need to test the coils.

As suggested, clean the points and plug. PM me an email address and I'll send you the instructions for setting the timing. Might check continuity through your plug wire too.

get a new spark plug, make sure the point gap is correct and clean. the contacts could have oxidized from the wash water. test the condenser, if it tests good hopefully it will spark....put a new condenser at the top of your list of things to replace, electrolytic capacitors over 30 years old should not be trusted, (even nos). one coil is for the lights and the other for the ignition. they are most likely good. if the point and condenser check out, test the ignition coil and charge coil. check that stuff out hopefully you wont need to test the coils.
Thanks MB165. I put a new plug on it first thing, so that doesn't seem to be the issue. I did notice some crud on the contact points, so I just cleaned those up with some 600 grit sand paper. Is that all there is to checking the "point gap"?

I measured the condenser with a capacitance meter at 15 micro Farads. Does that seem high?

Thanks!
Gabe

MB165

yeah 15 should be ok, make sure the gap is clean too, i like to cut manilla folder or index cards into strips and slide them in the gap. actual adjustment has to be set with feeler guages. i dont know the spec.

Thanks for your help MB165 and ArcticMinibike!

Cleaning up the carb and cleaning the points brought this Prowler back to life!:scooter:

That 2-stroke exhaust is bringing back a flood of good memories. Lots more work to do!

Thanks again!

-DesertProwler

Awesome! I love it when they are restored and not parted out. Nothing like the sound and smell of an Arctic 2-stroke.

For future reference to anyone with this issue, here is what the Saxonette repair manual has to say on the subject...

Plug Not Firing:
1. Plug oiled up, damp, shorted or damaged
2. Plug damp (outside)
3. Spark plug wire loose or defective
4. Short-circuit switch jammed or cables leading from engine defective
5. Contact-breaker points oiled up or burnt
6. Ignition coil or condenser defective

Make sure you use a quality 2-stroke oil and a 25:1 ratio. Also use old-school transmission fluid, not synthetic. I use RedMax oil and Valvoiline Dex/Merc fluid. Both work well and are compatible with the original specs.