noob from arkansas

Hey guys here looking for info on a MW 424 I was given. Gonna mod it for my son. The engine runs but its missing the clutch. Gonna start tear down this weekend and sandblast the frame. Might also upgrade the engine to a 10hp briggs I was given at the same time (power washer the pump is busted).

Right now going through threads looking for info to hopefully replace the old band brake with disk(s), and modding it for a CV trans. Maybe adding a LED headlight and consent on tail light for it.

It will most likely be drawn out as I already have a mow-cart build going on with a custom frame and a 28hp vee twin briggs. That thing is already a parts sourcing nightmare being on a disability budget.

Lil more backstory. The guy I got it from said he was the 2nd owner. When he got it the thing was 100% original. He got it for his son who was scared of it and it got parked. His wife started riding it to their mailbox, to their garden, and deer hunt off of it. She tore the seat and recovered it the way it is now. Last year according to him some idiots stole the clutch off of it so minus the clutch, seat, and cover is missing its all there. Only repair work I know I have is a crack in the rear fender and some minor straightening of it on the bottom edge. The forks and everything look straight, the rest is just surface rust.

Apparently I can't post pictures or directly link to my photo bucket account so I guess ya'll have to use your imagination.

I will most likely swap the engine to a briggs, most likely a 10hp is it doesn't require much mods. I also have a 5hp here if the 10 won't work. Gonna add some rear shocks and maybe move the tank to the rear like the other models have. I need to check but I'd like to add some 8 inch wheels (because I have some) and put LED lighting on it.

Sweet Bike...and for Free !!...you can't beat that...and it's a Gilson too (I think they made them for Wards).

Welcome to the OldMiniBikes NEO !

welcome...that looks like could be original..for resto..except did someone took suspension off back..looks to have swingarm maybe price more forshocks those days?hmmm

Welcome to the OldMiniBikes NEO ![/QUOTE]

Yeah from my research it's pretty much a gilson built bike. My understanding for some odd reason they put a shorter swingarm on the MW bikes. I'm sure somebody with more knowledge (doesn't take much) will chime in.

Thanks

welcome...that looks like could be original..for resto..except did someone took suspension off back..looks to have swingarm maybe price more forshocks those days?hmmm

Again from my research, the MW 424 does have a swingarm but it came with those struts instead of shocks. My guess is the same as yours, $$$. At least when I put shocks on it I'm pretty sure the bushings won't be worn out.

Was talking to some of my dad's buddies and 2 of them each had an engine just like this. One was swapped out because it stopped running. No clue on what if anything is wrong with it. The other was running when the guy took it off to replace it with a bigger engine. That was untold years ago, stored in a shed, no telling what condition it's in. Neither of them would take a dime for their engine.

Sooooo now I have 3 of these little things I might piece them together and leave a 4hp on it for now until my 8 y/o gets a bit bigger and can handle more power. Done some work for a guy today and was given a 13hp running honda powerwasher with a bad pump. There might be some plans of ripping off this frame basic frame design, redesigning, and building a frame so daddy has a new toy also.

Well good news, after I evicted the current "owners" of the engine with some wasp spray, cleaned the carb, cleaned the points, and bypassed the crudded up tank I got the factory engine running today.

Bad news is I need a gas tank. The one I got is in good shape on the bottom but the weird thing the fill is rusted through. Around here most of the time it's the bottom of a steel tank that rusts out, never seem one rust from the top like that. Feels like if I screw the cap on and off too much it's gonna just twist off. Neither of the other engines have a tank that mounts the same and will work without major mods. One of them has a nice plastic tank I can get to work for now but I'm gonna try to find a steel tank somewhere to steal the fill off of, weld on the factory tank, and coat the inside.

Anybody ever just take all the outside goodies off one of these engine, plug/tape off everything, and media blast it as a unit to paint? I have some coal slag (fine grade I think) I'm gonna do the frame in so I'm gonna try to blast the engine in that unless somebody can tell me why I'm completely stupid doing so.

Last edited:
Well I blasted and primed the engine tins, then worked on the engine tonight. Actually got it running. Started welding up the crack in the rear fender. I blasted it first, and even took a thin cutoff wheel down it to clean it up good. They must have used some scrap steel to make these fenders. It will weld fine for a second, hit impurities in the steel, and blow a hole. I have spent 30 minutes on a 1 1/2 long crack trying to repair it. Still cratered up and looks like my 8 year old welded it.

Right now goal is to just get the major points fixed and moving. I'll then blow it apart and do a full paint job/restro restore on it.

I think seen Briggs gas tanks for sale on eBay..like those square that hang like that..you can't make a couple of brackets to semi relocate tanks you have?

Thanks for the idea, I'll have to check my pile of junk. I just might have some old briggs tanks. I just haven't thought of using something like that. As for the tec tanks holding them under there with a calibrated eye they don't look like they will fit very well under there. I have thought about taking an old cylinder and building a tank. I have some old empty camping propane tanks I can purge, hacksaw the nozzle end off, and weld together. Can make a pretty good sized tank that way. Just have to find a good steel gas fill neck to put on it.

I also wanna route the exhaust more towards the rear of the bike. Where it is now I'm afraid my son will end up getting his leg on it. Just gotta pick up some conduit and bend that, easy enough.