Noob over his head?

Hey people I have been hungry to get any sort of minibike / scooter. I am on a pretty tight budget and have been scouring craigslist.I just want something to ride for fun. I came across an ad and have talked to the seller.

The bike is a "Mini baja mini bike" as his title states.
His description-
"i have a mini baja it runsand drive"
Yes improper grammar and yes that drives me crazy.
Anyways, so I text him and he says that he's missing the chain / clutch cover (which is not too big of a deal), but the chain is also off. I asked him how the chain came off and he said, "The e clip broke off the master link. It basically needs a new chain but it comes with it anyways"

I dont know if he's referring to a new chain, or it comes with the broken chain.

So here I am, with a semi-tempting offer.
I would like to point out that I have little to no motorcycle /engine experience. My mechanical skills are not up to par, but a chain does not seem too difficult to put on (its not like i'll have to overhaul the carb). However I have no clue what size chain I would have to get, and if they're easily obtained in my area. I also do not know the size of the engine and it's speed capabilities. (i'm 200 lbs)

If I were to see it I would definitely want to at least hear it start up and run [look for gas leaks]

Opinions / advice is appreciated !
Thanks, Richie

buckeye

Welcome to the fun.
Lot of unknowns. Is it a stock engine?
You have any pics?
We can get ya through most anything here.
Parts are availiable here used sometimes and of course the best parts sourse on the web, OldMiniBikes Warehouse.
So feel free to ask away.

trailramdan

i was a rookie to when i started my first build ask lots of questions...these guys on here will help you out. hands down the best site out there

Yeah you need to get a new engine based on your skill and confidence level and at #200 you will need 3.5hp or better. I have two that my kids ride and one is 3hp and one 3.5hp briggs edger engines. We have little to nothing in em and they run great. My boy is #200 and he had a 6.5 that whooped all his friends and I still need to fix the forks from an overconfident rider. I got tossed off my 6.5 powered DB a few times too, they are a handful but I plan another build soon once I find another clapped out stocker.:thumbsup:

How do you know the engine size based on the picture?
Experience I assume?

Also, what would be an equivalent CC to someone of my weight?
I've seen 99 CC engines
But a friend has a 50cc scooter that goes fast. I'm assuming its a can of worms because there's torque, gear ratios and things like that?

Last edited:
The pic is of a stock DB30, tell tale signs like to color of the engine and the shape of the gas tank, tell us it is the 2.8 hp 97 cc. NOT noted to be useful to guys your size, ( I am the same size). You cannot go by CC's to your weight, rather use HP as described above. 3.5 HP is a good all around starter size. However you will learn that Harbor Freight (Princess Auto in Canada) frequently offer a 6.5 hp (sometimes 7) for the $100.00 mark (some coupons may apply). Lots of advice here on how to convert your DB30.
Don't worry about your skills, lots of help here. We all pay it forward and it always comes back to us as there is always more to learn. I would offer the guy $100.00, try to settle at $125.00 or less. Put the old engine back on ebay or cl for $25.00 and look around for a 6.5 HP, then get an install kit and get started. We promise to be there step by step. Use the search function here or browse old posts. As for the 50 cc scooter, it probably has a transmission to change gear ratios, minibikes rarely do, we set the gears with a sprocket size. Some guys like speed, some guys like hill climbing. The 72 tooth sprocket in your picture with a 6.5 hp will put a smile on your face ! With the option of bruise on your butt if you don't repect it ! Now go for it !!

thanks for all the advice people.
I'll have to wait and see regarding just paying 250 for a 6.5 hp scooter, or buying one and doing the upgrade.
If I can find a 6.5 MB for that price I may just buy it. But the questions is will I find it.
time will tell, and I'm broke for another week or two anyways.

QUESTION:With these faster bikes, do people install front brakes as well? I'd hope to be able to stop if need be if i'm doing 35mph
speaking of 35 mph, how fast (ballpark) does a 6.5hp minibike go (with a 200 lb rider)
guesstimates?

Last edited:
Yes, better brakes are a common upgrade, sometimes hydraulics, sometimes add a front brake, sometimes clutch brakes, all good ideas. As for speed, 30 mph is common, 40 is achievable with a smaller sprocket. Keep in mind that you cannot safely minibike in the dirt at 30 mph anyway. Look in the for sale section here and you just might find a prebuilt ready to ride !