'Nuther wards build

I was recently given an old Montgomery wards frame. 2 tires, a band brake on the rear, and some hacking and welding had been done. Some icky yellow paint was haphazardly applied as well. I then bought from a guy at work a Robin 4HP engine and 3 clutches, a couple more tires, some fenders and guards, and a scrub brake assembly that was skillfully and surgically removed from his old bike in favor, I think, of a caliper.
Now, I was once a lead at a Briggs factory authorized shop, and I LOVE briggs engines. I was skeptical about the Robin as a result, I remember too many old ones with broke rods and loose valves. Well, They are apparently a whole new world now. The reviews are excellent, so I will time test this before making any judgements. For now, it starts easily, and has the most incredible muffler!! nearly silent!
I have assembled the parts I have so far, and being the impatient type, I cobbled together some old bike parts for a brake and throttle so we (My grandson and I) could get the thing moving.
While the throttle is really weak (Good thing for now) the brake is OK. It had no liner, so I cut an old chunk of leather and used some Super 77 to secure it after I reshaped the band a bit. Not sure how long the leather will last, but I guess Ford used to use it for brakes and clutches "Back in the day".
Again, the test of time will tell.
Wifey is out doing errands, so she will try to find some foam and white vinyl for the seat. Thus far, I just cut one out of plywood, and attached it using 1/4-20 blind nuts from my RC collection. She is also bringing home some 1/2 inch pipe so I can make some footpeg mounts. I have already ordered online some folding pegs, a twist grip throttle, and a cable.

So, I will continue to piece together until I am happy that it is safe and durable, then I will tear it all down, correct all the hacks, and paint it a pretty red..

Looks like a good start, I was into RC planes as well, still got all my stuff, but havent flown in a couple of years.

Lets see if this works....

[/IMG]

ok how about now...

Last edited:
it is easy, go to your pictures, click on the picture to display it full size, RIGHT click on the picture and select "properties" it will then bring up a box displaying the details of the pic including the URL. Highlight the complete URL and RIGHT click again to copy this address.

Then in your post select the little picture icon and enter that copied URL into the info box and you got it.

pretty easy. :thumbsup: