Odd Tecumseh timing issue

I'm timing the nos engine i picked up last week and I have a weird issue here. I timed it the first time without any incident but when I was finished i noticed the coil didn't have a spark plug connection. So I replace the coil with a new one and now when I go to time it with the continuity metet I get no beep sound even when the points are together. What could that be? Is the fact that I changed the coil affecting that at all? It's not even connected, yet even when the points come together I font hsve a continuity beep. I know the meter is working cuz like I said I already did time the engine previously before I swapped the coil out and if I ground one end and I touch positive to the engine block it will beep. What the heck could be causing this its driving me nuts. I cleaned the points and put in a new capaciter too.

dont know a thing in the world about this, but does the points wire need to be connected somewhere on the motor to have continuity, seems isolated from ground.

dont know a thing in the world about this, but does the points wire need to be connected somewhere on the motor to have continuity, seems isolated from ground.
The positive end of the meter goes on the screw where all the wires are connected.

Anyway I sanded the points down and get continuity. Doesnt explain why I was able to the first time. Oh wellz