OEM aluminum Honda flywheel for GX-200

I74

Found NR racing sells these genuine ''OEM Honda''' aluminum flywheels, for around 52 bucks + ship.

You have to use a 4* key for the GX-200, because that flywheel was originally set up for the GX-160.

Sucker only weighs 3.3 lbs. ! :p

I talked to one of the Gurus @ NR racing, & told him that I wanted it for my GX-200,, to shed some right hand weight off the bike in helping with lateral balance,, plus lighten it up around 5 lbs .

Also told him that it's pretty much just a street cruiser ''not a racer''.

He replied stating that it should be just fine for my needs.

Really like the fins on it & plan on ordering one this week. ;)

I
Honda_Ali_Flywheel.jpg

SAS289

I have one and thought it was odd that it is timed to 22 BTDC. IMO NR racing should mention this in the part description. It is a nice flywheel and should be right at home on your GX200.

It appears that some of the low cost flywheels of this type are copies of this one. I've seen some advertised for $39.

I74

Thanks Man ! :)

It's the genuine article when it comes to that, or nothing. ;)

Wouldn't even think about changing out for some cheap cast aftermarket alum. job.

Frigg'n gernade in the making right there. :eek:

Ive used those flywheels for years in riders and racers. I have had the fins cut down some as well for race bikes. The timing is 22 BTDC as SAS289 has already mentioned. I use 10* or 12* keys with them. Check with timing light to confirm what your target is.

I74

The Guy @ NR recommended the 4* key for my GX-200 application.

I will go with that for starters. . ;)

Can always long gate the slots a wee smidge on the coil if I think it needs more advance.

I74

Got my flywheel.

Really nice but,,

Key slot is a bit wide, & key ''top side'' is a bit narrow.
Am going to have to make a shim, to put in between the ''right side'' of the key & flywheel slot ,, to take up the gap,, & ensure proper advance.

Last edited:

SAS289

If you are not looking for a dead on specific timing you should be able to put the 4 degree key in and run it. Even if it was way off and ends up with 29 or 30 degrees you're still good. Some guys run more advance than that on stock engines. A 6 degree key with a stock clone flywheel puts the timing at 34 BTDC.

I'll probably end up using this flywheel on my 224 build. I will have to file off some of the 8 degree key I have if I want 32 BTDC. Not sure of what cam I'm going to use but chances are it's going to be a cam that calls for 32.

SAS289

Got my flywheel.

Really nice but,,

Key slot is a bit wide, & key ''top side'' is a bit narrow.
Am going to have to make a shim, to put in between the ''right side'' of the key & flywheel slot ,, to take up the gap,, & ensure proper advance.
Forgot to ask... What are you using for coil gap? The Honda spec says .016" plus or minus .008". I had mine on a 196 a couple years ago but don't recall what gap I used. haha.

I74

Forgot to ask... What are you using for coil gap? The Honda spec says .016" plus or minus .008". I had mine on a 196 a couple years ago but don't recall what gap I used. haha.
.020 is what I'am going with SAS289.

Haven't put it on yet, as have an R/C scale Sailplane project that I'am trying to get knocked out first.

Should get around to it within the next few weeks though, & will post then on how it went. ;)

I

I74

Still have micro fish strips for setting air gaps from when I moonlighted in a couple of small engine shops ''many'' years ago ..

Petty much about 3/4 wide & about 6 inches long,, with stapling 2 of them together on one end.

Don't remember exactly the thickness @ the moment, but mostly used them on Tec. & Briggs.

Also have a Husqvarna one that's 0.3mm for saws & trimmers ect. ect.

.016 - .020 , is pretty much the thickness of some of my ''dummy'' credit cards that come in the mail.

They are generally a ''way'' more bendy plastic than the real ones, & work pretty slick. ;)

Probably use one of those CC ones for the GX.

I

I74

Probably start working on the GX here in the next week or two, & getting it ready for this season.
Pretty much have 2 other projects that were ahead of it knocked out now.
Got a new Sun-F AO21 for the back also, to yet install. ;)

I'll post pics on how I go about the flywheel project, when I finally get to it . lol.

I