off idle bog

hello, my son has been bugging me about getting his gokart running. so heres what we got: a ohh50 tec, a very small streaker 2 seater, 4.10x3.50x5 stud tires, 11t clutch sprocket, 48t drive sprocket(one wheel). i had to junk the stock carb(POS). i put a carb on that came off his 3 wheeler, 1984 honda atc 125m(4 stroker). took it apart, let it soak in gunk carb cleaner for 24 hrs, ran a small wire thur every lil hole to make sure it was clear, the float floats, new gaskets and seals, new inline fuel filter, and install an aftermarket air filter. i had to remove the stock muffler, and repaced it w/ a 3/4"x10" pipe. now it starts first pull every time, idles great, pulls very hard at mid and high rpms, comes back down to idle fine, but has a BAD bog just off idle. i did notice while i had carb apart it has #96 main jet and #38 idle jet. the needle was set on the 3rd from top on the 125, i have moved the needle up and down, but idles and starts best on 3rd from top setting. it has 2 more up and 2 more down. idle mixture works best at 1.25-1.5 turns out. new plug showing black soot. hes happy w/ it, but has to keep feathering the throttle to get it to move w/o stalling. but after he gets it moving, look out:2guns: got nothing but tire spinning, dirt throwing, sideways hold on and drive. all replys welcome. by the way, GREAT FORUM. thx, rick:smile:

Motra

Sounds like a problem with the pilot circuit. There could still be some stale fuel obstructing it or it could be an adjustment or jetting problem. I'm not very familiar with that carb but on those bikes Honda usually used a fairly restrictive air filter set-up, so if the air flow is increased the jetting is on the lean side, plus your engine is larger than the 125 it came off of. Here's a link to a carburetor tuning manual for the Briggs Animal carb, the jet sizes and part numbers won't apply but the info is good.
http://www.briggsracing.com/racing_engines/animal/animal_carb-tuning.pdf

125ccCrazy

What size is the carb?? Is it much larger bore than the stock one?? Is it a straight bore or does the carb have a venturi?? I'm assuming it's a straight bore which could be the problem since your running it on a stock low compression engine... Your getting too much air/fuel flow too fast and the engine can't handle it... If the intake is real short you can try a longer intake which will help slow the flow down before it hits the cylinder...

Last edited:
thx for the link. on the air filter side of the carb is the #26. the intake mani side seems to be smaller then the air filter side. the mani is the stock 1 that came on the ohh50. i done some testing today w/ it. pulled the bowl off and installed a very small piece of wire(1 strand) in the main jet(bent it on both ends to keep it from falling out), it really helped out and the sparkplug looks alot lighter now. i went ahead and turned it down to open up at only 3/4 throttle, that took care of the bog, but i still see fuel building up in the airfilter so im gonna find some pilot and main jets to do some more testing. looks like those jets in the animal carb will work. same setup, just different floats. anyone using these honda cycle carbs on a tec???? thx, rick:smile: