OK, so I changed my mind...Women do it all the time.

Since there is really nowhere to mount a band brake on a 2hp Briggs I decided to do a jackshaft disc brake. I got a little creative on this one. Since I like to re-use or recycle, this was just the thing to do. I used a guide wheel from a snowblower and modified it by welding a 5/8 shaft collar on it to mount on the jackshaft as a disc brake rotor. The caliper is a CIC mechanical disc brake caliper. A little welding to whip up a mount for the caliper and a foot brake lever from a motorcycle gearshift lever.
I just kinda get a visual in my head and fab as I go. It works great and it's so much easier for my son to use than a hand brake. 9 yr olds have a hard time sqeezing a hand brake hard enough to actually stop a mini. Soemthing for the dads out there to consider when building a first mini for thier kids. Another plus is that it gets them used to using a foot brake and they'll be more comfortable learning on a bigger motorcycle later on.
Here's some pics. What ya think?

Oldsalt

Brake looks good. I also have to agree that having the brake accuated by the right foot will have importance when the child graduates to a big motorcycle or a car, both of which will most certinally happen.

delray

i agree too,thats the only way to go for a 9 year old. i am building a minibike for a 9 going on 10 . i notice that its a little hard for him to use a hand brake(rear drum brake),so he will be also using a scrub brake if he needs to stop little more. i don't really care if he eats up the rear tire. i find them real cheap at swapmeet. use on snowblowers and are a harder rubber tire then a china tire,so they last little longer.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/brian_c_53711/album/576460762376364333/photo/294928803494920097/10

Jim "Barndawg",i like your design. that should stop real good for him. with the weight of his body it will make it easyer for him to stop:thumbsup:
:scooter:...................

H

Handful

Nice job!! Reminds me of my bike where my dad and I somehow came up with the idea of using cables and pulleys to squeeze a pair of car brake pads to a home-cut stainless steel disc. Works great!

Man, that's cool...self-designed/fabbed mechanical disk brake...foot-actuated...and it's up away from the bottom of the frame so it doesn't hang down and get bashed up...awesome...