Painting in the basement

Its 19 degrees f in the garage but I'm itchin to get some paint work done in the basement but want to minimize the fumes and the explosions since the furnace is down there.
I have a 6x6 room in the basement that is vented to the outside with a 4" pipe but there is no fan. Is there an enclosed fan that I could use ? or maybe there are some better ideas :shrug:

You'll never ventilate adequately with a fan hooked to a 4" pipe, so that's out. If you're physically separated from any ignition source like furnace, water heater, washer, dryer, light bulbs, static producing plastics and fabrics, and are painting a small surface with quarter of a can of Krylon, you may be just fine.

Otherwise, wait 'till Summer. That odor will be all over the house, and the VOC levels may rise to harmful enough levels, that a forced air respirator would be needed.

If you're still going to do it, at least do it in very small batches/bits/squirts. You probably already know what the fireman has to say about it, right? I've done it too, but in hindsite, it was stupid. Why does it have to be done now, and is the risk worth the reward?

I agree with Dave...those paint fumes will waft up into the floorboards and carpeting etc. above and you will be smelling them for a week....

The only other option I have found is have the paint and the part to be painted prepped and ready to go and all warmed up in the house....bring it outside...shoot it quick...and bring it right back in to dry....the fumes will be minimized.

You have to be quick getting it back inside too, so the metal isn't cooling too quick under the paint. It will come out milky/cloudy, if allowed to cool quickly while drying. Some paints now only require the surface temp of over 50 degrees. A low humidity 70 is always better though.

toomanytoys

I used to paint in my basement at my old house. I would put 2 box fans in the double window that was in my "work shop" and would turn them on blowing out and paint away.

Never had an issue with fumes or anything. Over time the fans that I used had multicolored blades from sucking paint out.

delray

just like the guys where saying. painting in the basement is not good. your house will smell for days and if you have a wife or girlfriend...:doah: your done......:hammer:

and if any fumes get to the furnace.

WrenchDad

Years ago I lived in a second floor apartment (converted house) and a vaccum salesmen showed up to do a demonstration. He explained how the vaccum could also be used as an air purifier because it had a Hepa filter. He let it run for about five minutes and when he checked the filter it was pink. Turns out the guy below us was spray painting model cars with red paint. Even thou we couldnt smell it or see it, the paint was all thru the house. I would wait and do it outside.

Thanks guys for the reply, I've got a few weeks off and just want to gettter done.
Like Dave also I've done it before but now I'm a little older and wiser.. (I hope)
KKK and Jimh thanks for the idea/advice about taking it to the garage and spray. and return to the warmth of the house..Ill probably give it a shot :thumbsup:

joekd

I used to run a side business where I was painting small parts on a regular basis

My basement work area is completely sealed off with plastic on all sides, I have the largest exhaust fan I could find on a 4" pipe vented outside

It does help a lot and is fine for spraying small parts but if I do any large paint jobs you can still smell the fumes through the house

I usually just run outside, squirt what I'm squirting, then run back inside.. :laugh:

Just the paint drying will stink like wet paint, but you won't have an actual cloud of actual paint in the air..