Painting plastic tecumseh tank white

I have a newer tecumseh that was black that is torn apart and all the tin is painted white and I would like to paint the tank also,Trying for the vintage look.What is the best paint to use and how does it hold up?I'll post pictures when the paint dries enough to handle on the tin works.

Thanks,Scott

Last edited:
I have never seen a tank sprayed to change color that has held up well.....

It has been postulated that the gasoline fumes actually permeate through the pores of the plastic...so no matter how well you prep the surface it the paint will still lift. I'm not a scientist so I can't swear this is true.....the solution is to coat the inside of the tank with Caswell Sealer to prevent this.

I used it on my CAT plastic tank which I repaired and painted and a year later it still looks good....:shrug:

Because the plastic has some "give" to it, you'll always have a problem with exposing the original plastic beneath the paint. The top mounting area for example. Once the paint develops a hair-line crack near the mounting area, any spilled gasoline will attack from beneath the paint and cause it to lift.

Sorry, not the answer you were looking for. The only paint I would use that stands up to gasoline is two-part automotive paint. (Take your pick of vendors) A two part clear coat over it is even better. But this is moot, because of the reasons in the first paragraph.

You're better off sourcing a metal tank and painting as above. Or, sand the plastic tank with progressively higher grits of wet/dry paper, then buff with polishing compound and stay with black.

Because the plastic has some "give" to it, you'll always have a problem with exposing the original plastic beneath the paint. The top mounting area for example. Once the paint develops a hair-line crack near the mounting area, any spilled gasoline will attack from beneath the paint and cause it to lift.
Not only this, but the plastic will actually "breathe" and the gas fumes will seep out from the inside. The only way to keep this from happening is to line the tank with a sealer (Caswell is a good one) to keep the fumes from coming through and bubbling the paint.

Not only this, but the plastic will actually "breathe" and the gas fumes will seep out from the inside. The only way to keep this from happening is to line the tank with a sealer (Caswell is a good one) to keep the fumes from coming through and bubbling the paint.
:thumbsup: Speaking of which, I just did a test of (Bobs?) forget the exact name- but it's an MEK-based sealer "not" for use on plastic.

I first tested the stuff on an old plastic tank. No problems, set up with no signs of eating plastic. I ended up sealing a plastic tank (seam) with it, and it worked great. I did use a high powered hair drier to ensure the solvent cooked off quickly though.

For the OP, it is possible to paint a plastic tank with anything. (SEM makes some excellent colors and it's made for plastic) But if someone does that, they're eventually going to have the base show through IF they actually use it.

You can polish a plastic tank and have it looking new.

I heard the Caswell works well with plastic/fiberglass, but I have yet to try it. I used same "Red Kote" (also a MEK based sealer) on a couple of plastic tanks a while back, and although they worked after a short while the liner began to lift...I was actually able to remove it from the tank on one piece:blink:. All of the metal tanks I've used Red Kote on I never had that problem.

You can polish a plastic tank and have it looking new.

I've done this with fantastic results:thumbsup:

45t

Have you thought of just getting a "from the factory" white Tecumseh tank? I see them for sale on eBay periodically. There may even be some members here that may have one sitting around.

I got one on my snowblower, so I know they originally came molded in white plastic.

oh yeah

I heard the Caswell works well with plastic/fiberglass, but I have yet to try it. I used same "Red Kote" (also a MEK based sealer) on a couple of plastic tanks a while back, and although they worked after a short while the liner began to lift...I was actually able to remove it from the tank on one piece:blink:. All of the metal tanks I've used Red Kote on I never had that problem.

I've done this with fantastic results:thumbsup:
the last one I did... and it was just a half assed job.. :thumbsup:

I used real fine grit, under running warm water in the kitchen sink, then can't even remember what I used to polish and seal it.. I wanna say like some old Turtle Wax that was laying around or.. :confused:

may have been bacon grease.. :laugh:

maverick1

Sorry, not the answer you were looking for. The only paint I would use that stands up to gasoline is two-part automotive paint. (Take your pick of vendors) A two part clear coat over it is even better. But this is moot, because of the reasons in the first paragraph.

You're better off sourcing a metal tank and painting as above. Or, sand the plastic tank with progressively higher grits of wet/dry paper, then buff with polishing compound and stay with black.
Dave, isn't there a flex addiative that can be added to the paint to help with the give? Like they use on bumper covers.

Dave, isn't there a flex addiative that can be added to the paint to help with the give? Like they use on bumper covers.
Yes, flex products are available for two part systems, but any of the automotive two parts will flex enough for the tank without the flex additive.

The problem with the plastic Tec tanks is that top mount chunk of steel that sits on top of the tank with the two screws. (and the bottom one as well)

The eventual gouge or nick caused by metal vibrating against plastic and allowing fuel to seep in that I would be concerned with.

If the tank was never used, one could spray paint the tank with Ace-brand paint out of an aerosol can. Speaking only for myself, it doesn't last longer than the first tank of gas.

Having said that, the photo below is two part urethane enamel with catalyst added, then clear coated with a 1:1 urethane clear. Those clamps around it are steel and probably doing a number on the paint. But this isn't a plastic tank with screws going into it, it's metal with a band around it. Because I do get fuel spills on it, a non-catalyzed paint would be bubbling up.

Also, even with this type of paint, if I had gasoline sitting underneath a chunk of Tecumseh tank mount for a few days, it too would start to erode.

As usual, I've probably over complicated this. So if I were going to paint a plastic Tec tank, I'd prep both top and bottom steel mounts, and paint them with a rattle can etching primer. I'd mount them to the tank bedded in a light layer of epoxy so it squeezed out onto the tank. I'd fillet those edges with an acetone rag. Acetone the rest of the tank and let the epoxy cure.

Then I'd spray some Nason (from Napa) Chroma seal white 7710S. This is a sealer coat, two part. After it flashed, I'd shoot it with two medium coats of 435-82 Urethane white.

That would probably be enough to prevent damage from fuel, and keep fuel spills and seeps from invading the spaces between the mount and tank.

For extra fuel resistance, two medium coats of 465 Urethane clear would ensure fuel didn't eat the paint. The downside is that the tank would be more glossy than the engine and might not look right.

That's my answer on how I'd do it, and essentially how I paint metal where fuels, oils, and solvents can be a problem. I know others have success with other methods, but I have had issues skimping on paint on tanks.

Any one who's stripped a Briggs or Tec metal tank has noted how veracious the paint they used was. I believe it was an epoxy-based paint however. :shrug:

My painted CAT tank is still holding up after 2 year.....but who knows, CAT may have used a different type of plastic than Tecumseh did to begin with ..there are a million different polymer formulas for plastics.....:shrug:

it seems like we have everything working against
us when trying to paint plastic gas tanks. gasoline,
heat, a mix of expansion rates, vapor pressures.

i remember painting my engine with krylon rattle
cans. one spill and the paint bubbled. with no spills
the paint bubbled around the gas cap.

how about engine paint???

for something like that tank, you could use klean strip "bulldog" adhesion promoter... then primer and paint the tank, as you would normally... if you use this, follow the directions on the can...

sand prep the tank/plastic as you normally would first, then adhesion promoter, then the primer paint etc..

The issue at hand isn't "can I paint a plastic gas tank," it's "how long is the paint going to last on a plastic gas tank that actually has gas in it?"

The world wide web is full of theories and before and after shots, but read the posts from the guys who used their bikes for a while. None of them advocate it. Only those who either "just did it," or those who "never ride it" talk about how great Krylon spray paint is, etc.

If I were going vintage, I'd go with a round metal tank anyway. :shrug: