Pak Jak on Steroids

Have a pak jak project, I am thinking of stretching the framt so I can put a much bigger motor, or 2 motors. Changing the drive system from snail gearing to balls to the wall top speed.. Seeking and information to aid my quest of making a old pak jak perform to levels never seen before..

Maybe putting an 18 HP motor and all chain drive, removing the breaking system for room for battery and starter/alternator.

Let me know what ya thing? go hog wild or leave the old jak alone?:eek:ut:

furyus

Have a pak jak project, I am thinking of stretching the framt so I can put a much bigger motor, or 2 motors. Changing the drive system from snail gearing to balls to the wall top speed.. Seeking and information to aid my quest of making a old pak jak perform to levels never seen before..

Maybe putting an 18 HP motor and all chain drive, removing the breaking system for room for battery and starter/alternator.

I don't even know what a Pak Jak is, so some pictures would be cool. I believe one can do as one please with their minis, including chopping up a rare bike if that's what one wants to do. But I'd make sure it was something I was going to finish if I started out "destroying" something vintage. Modding something for two engines usually includes "point of no return" modification to a chassis, meaning if you screw up or lose interest, you're left with a pile of junk.

Not quite following what you mean by removing the brakes, because that doesn't sound like a good idea. I guess being able to see what kind of mini you have and knowing what you intend to use it for would help.

furyus

furyus

Guess I should've checked out your pic gallery first. Yikes! No, I wouldn't modify that frame - I'm betting there isn't a whole lot of those around. Seems like there would be better candidates for going fast. Now, a stronger motor is always cool, but once you start cutting on that frame there is no going back. And that frame is complicated next to an Azusa or a Rupp.

My opinion is that mini, if one can call it that, is a good restoration candidate.

furyus

korndog

Haha, that's what I wanted to do with mine. Make a drag bike out of it. Maybe I still will do it. You going to put a big slick on the back?

Pics

Sure would like to see some Pics of this Old Jak? :thumbsup: :biggrin:

I was more in line with Korn Dogs thinking, making a drag type bike, no need for tight turning radius, just ball to the wall power, all chain drive drag slick rear tire ground pounder.

Hey K9, Richard Trotter's post above is right on. The front end of the Pak Jak does not have enough rake to be stable at high speeds.....meaning that the front wheel needs to be a bit further ahead than where it's now at. I'm not talking chopper style; but another three or so inches forward. With the current setup you run the very real risk that the slightest bit of imbalance or instability in your front end is going to produce an oscillation that is self amplifying and that you won't be able to control. The result will be that your body will reach the finish line before your bike does. Pak Jaks were designed to go about 18 to 25 mph. My opinion? Start from scratch and build yourself a frame from 4130 chromoly tubing. It will be extremely light weight and considerable stronger. In my 63 years I've learned that: You get much better results when you build something to suit your needs rather than trying to modify something to suit your needs. When you modify you have to make compromises. When you build from scratch you don't. Good luck. Ogy

Dzlbike has a real nice one too.. :thumbsup: I think if you're trying to go way top end speed.. Adding a battery and even MORE weight to the Bournemouth, I'd stick with having brakes.. :laugh: Your feet aint stopping that freight train at 40 50 miles per hour :doah:

james c

i can 8 while towing my truck. all thanks to the massive 3 hp engine, but im going to install a crazy powerful 3.5 hp when i get up the nerve