PakJak swap meet find

FastKat

My wife and I were cruising around a swap market in Payson Az last week and I found this great PakJak for sale. I have purchased the HF Predator 212 to slide into this beast.
Started sand blasting today and setting a plan to tackle the steering / trees which have all been welded together. Also doing the math to figure out final gear ratio. I understand these were at 40:1 and had a top speed of 10 mph.
Thinks to this forum for helping me figure out what this was, no one had a clue. I am so happy to have found this monster and look forward to the work and care that is required to bring it back to life.

FastKat

Was able to get a few hours of sand blasting in this morning before the heat set in, it's gonna get to 112 this afternoon. Have not been able to convince my wife that sand blasting in the kitchen is a good thing.
Was able to grind off the weld that held the forks onto the frame only to find that the steering post has a 4 degree bend in it. I'll try and heat it up and bend back into alignment, sure hope I don't have to grind it out and weld in a new tube. All other welds and tubes look to be in great shape.

FastKat

Hi Dave,
From the sales brochures I've found, these were made in either Sacramento or Chino Ca.

Last edited:

FastKat

Finish Sand Blasting on Pak Jak

Finally completed the sand blasting and weld grinding on frame and forks this morning. Figured out why the triple tree tube was bent, when the prev owner cut the frame at the bottom, the frame tweaked forward bending the tube. I'll be cutting the plate off the bottom and fitting in new tubes, at this time ill heat up the fork tube and pull it back into alignment.
Happy to be able to get out of the hot driveway and into an AC garage to start working. Was getting so hot I couldn't even handle my tools or frame without burns.

my pak Jak is on hold for the month.... my Grandson wants a go Cart for his birthday so ive been very busy doing this project or him. I picked up a Chinese 150 cc quad with all suspension, brakes, tires, wheels, etc for $25. I've cut it all up for the bottom frame and welding new tubes for the sides. The frame and all suspension is headed out for powder coat this Wednesday. I've put the HF 212 in it along with the TAV torque converter. Fast build for ll that has been done for this cart. Can't wait to get back on the Pak Jak. Thanks to OldMiniBikes for the fast order of parts required!

those 150cc chinese quads are great wish i could find a cheap engine to throw on a mini . pak jack looks real good. might have to build me one of them someday :thumbsup:

FastKat

Off Road Go Cart

Finally finished the go cart conversion for my grandson, actually I did build 2 identical carts, didn't want to upset my other grandson. It was great finding the quads on C.L. to use as the front and rear suspension for these. Thankfully the Pedator engine can be slowed way down, with me on this I was clocking 47 mph on my GPS, I weigh 215 lbs. Put my skinny little daughter in law on it and it scarred the hell outta her. in retrospect, I don't think I would do anything different next time. I do have 4 more quads that I will also convert and sell them to help fund a few more fun projects.

Here it is all dressed up n ready to ride. the roll bar is removable and I have an adult seat that slides right in place. Whaaaaat, you think I won't be riding this on tuneup and oil change days!

TomH

Man that is a beaut. don't know if you did this already, but if you put a washer on the engine side of your big washer that is a smaller diameter then your shaft, that will let your clutch self align with the sprocket. Easier to oil too.

The Quad is amazing, great job. The grandkids will be very happy with those. I'm in the process of scratch building a quad myself. What wheels/tire size are you using.. 18x7's on 8's?

Nice job cleaning up the frame on the PakJaK, i'm sure that will turn out to be an amazing work as well. Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

Hi Tom, thanks for the tip on the washer setup, I'll be looking into this in the morning.

Firemarshal71, the tires are 16 x 8 on 7" rims. Are you building a kart or a quad? What engine will you be using?

Hi Tom, thanks for the tip on the washer setup, I'll be looking into this in the morning.

Firemarshal71, the tires are 16 x 8 on 7" rims. Are you building a kart or a quad? What engine will you be using?
My build thread is labeled Summer13 Quad Project in the project log section. I am building a quad and have a Predator 420 and 20"x11x10 rear and 21x7x10 in front. The reason I asked about tires is because after this one, I wanted to do another version but scale it down quite a bit and found 4) 18x9.5's on 8's for $200 shipped and just wondered how they would look. Thanks.