pc vs mac

now that iam head of computer repairs at work i see alot more repairs coming in and more then half are pc's but mac's are coming in left and right even though they cost more do you guys think cost is not an issue anymore :eek:ut: or is it that most belive a mac has a god like status because there not as wide spread as a pc. myself i own 3 mac's and 3 pc's because i want to expand my knowledge and i got them cheap as hell. let me know what is your thoughts on this

vista isnt bad once you get used to it. and mac's take a while but there not bad either but imo they dont bring anything to the table that a pc cant do

Personally i prefer pc's by far. And for some reason at my college they put macs in every single science and engineering lab. Everyone here agrees that using mac's for engineering sucks.

*Slams head through dell laptop* cant we live in peace!

macs for engineer = sucks, tech has brand new pc's.... running XP

vista= sucks, its still not compatible with everything

I prefer pcs over macs, they make my head hurt..... but they do have some benefits

I have been running Windows 7 here at work and on one PC at home. It will be released sometime in August. I hope that Microsoft gets it right this time, at least Windows 7 does not ask me 20 questions before it will do what you tell it to do like Vista. I have had about 20 PC's come to me for upgrades and repairs in the last 2 months, and that is just my side work. At work I buy all brand new HP's, and rarely have issues with them or there support. Oh ya vista sucks so, I downgrade all of them to XP.

65ShelbyClone

I don't hate Macs, just being told that they are better than PCs for whatever reason. Of all the Power PCs, G4s, iMacs, and G5s I have used, I saw nothing that gave them an edge over a comparably-equipped PC. They all crashed, lost data, and suffered hardware rejection just as often as any Windows machine.

As for Vista, it's an irritating resource hog and I really dislike it. It seems that over the last ~20 years Microsoft releases two good systems followed by two bad ones. Win3.1 and Win95 were pretty good, 98 and ME were not, then 2000 and XP were good. Now Vista sucks, so I guess the pattern suggests that Win7 will too.

I don't hate Macs, just being told that they are better than PCs for whatever reason. Of all the Power PCs, G4s, iMacs, and G5s I have used, I saw nothing that gave them an edge over a comparably-equipped PC. They all crashed, lost data, and suffered hardware rejection just as often as any Windows machine.

As for Vista, it's an irritating resource hog and I really dislike it. It seems that over the last ~20 years Microsoft releases two good systems followed by two bad ones. Win3.1 and Win95 were pretty good, 98 and ME were not, then 2000 and XP were good. Now Vista sucks, so I guess the pattern suggests that Win7 will too.
I sure hope they get it right with windows 7, By all means the final bata is not perfect, but it is better then Vista. But they should ditch IE8 hate it.

65ShelbyClone

I hope they get it right too. I would like to see a Windows operating system that is so awesome it puts XP to shame, but I'm not holding my breath.

I quit using IE when Firefox came out and only keep it around for the odd site that doesn't work on anything else. I kept upgrading FF until Mozilla Wrecked it with v3, then I went back to the last v2 release. It doesn't get any more support from Mozilla, but it isn't a candy-coated turd like v3 either.

mac or pc they both have pros and cons. i myself love mac just because i prefer the open architecture. They both bring something to the table though. not putting either down. i just like mac better, it better suits my needs. i think that is the main dispute with people when the arguing starts. Everyone has there own needs with a computer and if you tell an engineer macs are amazing you will probably strike a nerve. same if you tell a digital artist pc's are the shizz. so it just all comes down to preference. but i do have to say vista sucks &*(% haha. i think we all can agree on that!

65ShelbyClone

if you tell an engineer macs are amazing you will probably strike a nerve. same if you tell a digital artist pc's are the shizz.
That's something I can't figure out. I hear just about every Mac-toting artist say how great their box is, yet my comment here

Of all the Power PCs, G4s, iMacs, and G5s I have used, I saw nothing that gave them an edge over a comparably-equipped PC. They all crashed, lost data, and suffered hardware rejection just as often as any Windows machine.
was based on using all those machines for digital illustration, photomanipulation, web design, desktop publishing, and video production; the same stuff those other artists use them for. :confused1:

i work as a graphic designer and have been using the same mac power pc G4 for almost 5 years now... and still works fine... i've never had any major problems with it and hardly ever do any defraging or disc doctors on it... i have the same machine at home too and it's just as rock solid... i don't hate pc's i just know macs better and prefer them because they're so simple and reliable... plus mac just seems better built, my brother just go a new mac book laptop and the thing just seems solid when you hold it next to a pc laptop (not as much plastic)

whats cpu does your g4 have. i have had a 450 dual 500 dual and a 800dual and a mac mini with a 1.42ghz g4 and they dont seem to like flash at all

cpu type: power pc G4 (3.3)
number of cpus: 2
cpu speed: 1.25 ghz

i've done a little with flash and haven't had any problems with it... i'm just starting to toy around with web design, so i had no need for it before... but i'm running all of adobes CS3 programs without any problems

65ShelbyClone

has anyone tried opera?
I tried it when Firefox went v3 and got retarded. It's pretty and has some nice features that FF does not, but also uses more resources and is missing or hiding things that FF has. I still prefer FF v2, especially since connserving system resources is becoming a concern on my aging, undercooled Athlon laptop.

Regarding something feeling more solid and "better built".....manufacturers of many consumer devices will actually add dead weight to make the product seem more substantial and "better built." I have no idea what is inside a MacBook; it was just something ironic I was reminded of. ;)

I was told by a geek,,,,

Macs for people who don't know how to fix crashes and problems and PC for people that do.

I won't use vista. What a bag a crap that was. :doah: