pep boys black friday doodlebug

Theres a $30 prep fee (and Tax) also and the engine is too small. I'd just get the rolling frame for $144 and buy a good engine. :thumbsup:

so buy a
$144 frame +
$129 harborfreight 6.5hp motor
$129 Harbor Freight motor maybe if the stock motor is too weak

I personally think the last setup is a better deal in the end no matter if you include the 6.5hp motor or not.
my buddy bought a 70cc mini form pepboys and they let him haul it away without the fee he just had to put it together himself which wasnt more than stickers and putting handle bars on and oil and gas in the motor.

Last edited:
Saw this thread and happened to be going by a Pep Boys today. Stopped in and inquired. It is a vaild offer. Doors open at 5:00 A.M. for this offer on Friday. Sale is limited to STORE STOCK ONLY. Don't know how many each store got but I am sure it is not many. Did a quick inspection of the bike and the quality wasn't bad. The 2.8 H.P. motor is not much power but is perfect for a youngster.

Lots of luck walking out of there without a prep fee. (written in stone)

($169 + $30 + 8%? )

$214.92
-$144
= $70.92 for a useless 2.8 HP engine when you could buy a nice used 4-5-6.5 HP for that.

KIDS :doah:

well if my friend was able to get one without the fee why not me? and why would the motor be useless? sure it wouldn't haul me up the hills but useless? great so you think its useless then dont buy one!
But whatever its still a great deal.

Just don't come to me when the neighbor kids pass you on their tricycles! Hahahahaha!

Really though, I know parts of Utah are more relaxed and they could let you take it home in a box without getting fired for bending the rules. Let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:

delray

hey guys, if you plan on buying one. you will need to change the rear sprocket. the bike is gear wrong?

bike has a very hard time taking off quickly with that small sprocket.you will just burn up the clutch unit. i install a 80tt sprocket and built a header pipe exhaust systems.

now it pull's me around pretty good and i weigh about#170. motor is only rated 2.5hp not 2.8hp
with the modifly things i did to it i can almost keep up with my stepsons 3hp tecumseh.
YouTube - jd 2 day riding

a 4hp or more with a torque converter will fix it real good:thumbsup:

Just don't come to me when the neighbor kids pass you on their tricycles! Hahahahaha!

Really though, I know parts of Utah are more relaxed and they could let you take it home in a box without getting fired for bending the rules. Let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:

ya that would suck but at least it would sound cooler than a trike!:scooter:

Why does it say the baja racer isn't available in Utah I picked up one thats the same but red and called the doodlebug. weird.
Picked one of these things up today and yes its slow! but not that bad really just cant go up anything resembling a hill. The guy at the store said it was state law and couldn't sell it without the $30 charge man that sucks all they did was have to put the wheel on the fork and then put the fork on the frame and fill the motor with oil how lame! but they did put fuel in it which was nice.
Man there are a ton of stickers on this thing first thing I did was take em all off then checked everything and then took it for a ride. This thing is slow compare to my brothers mini but he has a 5hp with high compression head and a header and better air filter also a nice fat cam.
I pulled out the throttle stop screw and took it for a ride and it seemed to gain alot of speed. I really like this thing I am used to minis with a slick on the back that isnt very easy to turn with a tire with square sides.
There was alot of noise coming from the chain I think it was slapping the chain guard. Messed with it to see if I could move it away from the chain noticed the clutch cover doesnt have any holes for air flow in it! So I cut a hole in the front of it was pretty easy too since it's plastic!
I think I may have to get rid of the muffler and the air filter needs to be swapped out to something like a K&N.

Glad you found one. :thumbsup: You might want to move the engine up a little to tighten the chain (not too tight!) I would also check all the nuts and bolts because you never know who slapped it together.

Now keep you eyes peeled for good used engines like edgers, pressure washers and snow blowers with the right shaft and 3.5-6.5 HP. I found a few in Utah when I was there last month but old mini's were hard to find! Only found ONE in the area (bananza) for $150 and it needed chain and stuff. You guys use ASL.com the most for ads, you'll find engines there.

GTO (who eyes are everywhere) :doah:

delray

Frank Bullitt,if you keep on riding it the way it is. your going to burn up the clutch. it might be ok if you don't weigh alot(under #100)
sprocket is way to small and the the motor is under powered for adult to ride.
the baja is still a ok china built minibike. but it just needs little america engineering. change the gearing and build a header pipe with a exhaust and then see how you like it. i only payed $200 for my minibike and $14 for a blank 80tt sprocket and drill out 6 holes myself and built a header pipe exhaust system. i only have $214 into it:thumbsup:
motor that is on that bike is a honda clone. here is some info on it. i am not sure why they put 2.8 on the side cover? i guess they want you to think it's a 2.8hp motor. really it's a 2.5hp.
honda g100, g100, 2.5hp (100cc) engine dimension, demensional drawings a, b, c

cool thanks guys for the info. i have a running 5hp in the garage for one of my other mini projects but I am afraid to put it on this one cuz then I may never finish the other one. Finding minibikes was tough in SF bay area where I grew up every garage sale I allways looked for a minibike. But now that I have a few I need to get them all running. What is this ASL? I googled ASL.com and got only some General Electric website.
How did you drill out the holes on the sporcket? any trick to it dont want some out of round sprocket! What size in on the bikes stock?

kbs8ball

my buddy called me yesterday to tell me he got a green baja at dicks for his girls...I just laughed and said "its a good thing you have girls"...im sure after Xmas he will be calling again...tryin to fix that junk motor or wondering why the clutch is burnt up...live and learn