Picked up my 1st Rupp today

Picked this up today,owner say's all original. I'm going to need a few parts which I will post in the correct section. Is there new parts out there ? What do you think ? I ran it down the road and the clutch seemed to slip with my fat behind on it. I even got a plate from 1974 with it ! :thumbsup:

capguncowboy

You can get a lot of parts from BlackWidowMotorsports.net. The light switch/killswitch can be picked up as an NOS on Ebay for $50-75

Looks like a good clean bike. Lubricate the sheaves on the clutch with graphite (oil based lubricant will collect dust and gum up the mechanism). The belts can be replaced with a Gates 6061 for about $10 from BeltPalace. That'll likely cure the slipping problems.

You can get a lot of parts from BlackWidowMotorsports.net. The light switch/killswitch can be picked up as an NOS on Ebay for $50-75

Like this one 15418R 1970-75 rupp mini bike REPLACEMENT HEADLIGHT SWITCH, Has kill switch. An economic alternative, NEW repro

Looks like a good clean bike. Lubricate the sheaves on the clutch with graphite (oil based lubricant will collect dust and gum up the mechanism). The belts can be replaced with a Gates 6061 for about $10 from BeltPalace. That'll likely cure the slipping problems.
Thanks I wil try that !

capguncowboy

Those new repop switches are a pretty close match to the originals. They'll do nicely while you locate an original. The new ones also wire up exactly the same as the originals. Here are some pictures of mine before I redid it. It was definitely helpful in getting it reconnected.

capguncowboy

Thanks, Where do I find the date code on these (motor and frame) ? Any help would be great !
Date code on the engine is on the little aluminum tag. It's located on the left side of the recoil/blower housing.

The serial/code for the bike is underneath the seat cushion, on top of the seat pan

Found the one on the engine (MODEL HS 40 553880 SERIAL 20420) Can that help to find out the year ? I will look at the frame Monday afternoon.
THANKS

capguncowboy

How in the hell to get that from those numbers ? But Thanks
The Serial number (2042x). The first digit indicates the last digit of the year (2=72). The next 3 digits indicate the day of the year (042 = 42nd day of the year). Sometimes there is an extra number or two at the end, perhaps indicating the production line, or shift or whatever. The decade it was made is indicated by the style of the engine. 64-74 was round shroud with a serial plate. They went to a square shroud with the numbers stamped on top in the mid 70s sometimes (mid 74 I think). Then went to a plastic recoil sometime in the late 80s. There were other changes too, but I'll keep it simple