When looking at the points of an old engine I've picked I sometimes see what looks like a little "cap" on the contacts of the points. To me this looks as it should look. Maybe more of it should be htere but it's still there. Is the general rule to change them when it's all worn away? Below are the points of an H30 from 1970 I was cleaning up last night. To me these look good enought to sand the crud off, swab some alcohol on and carry on with. Contacts meet together nice and flat too. Engine did show very good spark after cleaning, incidentally. I will change them soon enough anyway. But if there is a general rule of thumb I'd like to know. Thanks.

:thumbsup: Here's what is in the Tecumseh book:

6. Examine the stator components (diag. 17).
A. Check the ignition cam for roughness.
B. Check the movable point arm that rests on the ignition cam for wear.
C. Check the spring steel on the point assembly for evidence of excessive heat.
D. Check contact points for wear. If they are pitted or burned, this is an indication that the condenser is not functioning properly. If any of the above are faulty, replace accordingly.
E. When replacing the points, also replace the condenser.
F. After the points are replaced and engine is re- timed, be sure to clean the points with lint free paper. An engine will not run smoothly if the points are improperly set or coated with even a small quantity of oil, etc.

Note: The last few points sets I have bought, had the spring steel so tight, that the cam wouldn't even move the points.

:thumbsup: Here's what is in the Tecumseh book:

6. Examine the stator components (diag. 17).
A. Check the ignition cam for roughness.
B. Check the movable point arm that rests on the ignition cam for wear.
C. Check the spring steel on the point assembly for evidence of excessive heat.
D. Check contact points for wear. If they are pitted or burned, this is an indication that the condenser is not functioning properly. If any of the above are faulty, replace accordingly.
E. When replacing the points, also replace the condenser.
F. After the points are replaced and engine is re- timed, be sure to clean the points with lint free paper. An engine will not run smoothly if the points are improperly set or coated with even a small quantity of oil, etc.

Note: The last few points sets I have bought, had the spring steel so tight, that the cam wouldn't even move the points.
Thanks Dave. Yeah well one of the reasons I like to get by on the original points is you don't have to re-time. Not that I have a problem with that since I've bought my handy dandy Tecumseh Dial Indicator. LOL. But it is time consuming. I guess the bottom line is I can get spark...