predator 212 billet flywheel

Nimdy

So this is kinda a continuation of my last post, but to summarize it for my senior project I'm highly modifying a Predator 212 engine and putting it on a Baja Doodlebug bike. So far I have bought the engine and clutch as well as some other parts to freshen up the bike and have installed it all. Now that the stock engine is installed, and I have done all my testing, and data collection I am buying parts I'm going to need for my modifications.

I found a deal for an ARC rod and flat head piston that I will buy, but I still need to get a billet flywheel so it doesn't explode at 9k rpm. I found a couple on Amazon for around $50 that say they handle up to 10k rpm but I want to make sure they actually can so has anyone had any experience with these Amazon flywheels or is the ARC flywheel the only real one that I can trust.

I would really like to avoid having to pay $140 for an ARC flywheel at all costs, but I can save up for it if I have to it will just push back the rest of my schedule a bit.

Amazon flywheel

Last edited:

Nimdy

Which Predator do you have, hemi or non hemi?

The non hemi and hemi Predators have unique crankshafts. A GX200, 196 clone and every other small block flywheel will not fit correctly on either of the Predator 212's. You need a Predator specific flywheel.

Like this one.
6625 ARC Billet Flywheel, Non Hemi Predator - ARC Racing
I have the non-hemi engine. Is the one I linked not compatible with the predator 212 non-hemi in the description it says it is?

I have the non-hemi engine. Is the one I linked not compatible with the predator 212 non-hemi in the description it says it is?
It'll fit the non hemi crank taper. It's a hair different, jus make sure you use lapping compound to lapp it to the crank real good.

Now that flywheel has a different built in timing advance. It's less then other flywheels. It's best to set the timing and not jus install the flywheel with the stock key. Why build a modified engine then use less ignition timing ???

I would trust that flywheel at 8500, not 10,000.

https://www.eccarburetors.com/tillotson-212r-bsp-cast-aluminum-flywheel

Nimdy

It'll fit the non hemi crank taper. It's a hair different, jus make sure you use lapping compound to lapp it to the crank real good.

Now that flywheel has a different built in timing advance. It's less then other flywheels. It's best to set the timing and not jus install the flywheel with the stock key. Why build a modified engine then use less ignition timing ???

I would trust that flywheel at 8500, not 10,000.

https://www.eccarburetors.com/tillotson-212r-bsp-cast-aluminum-flywheel
Ok that's good I have a feeling I won't be getting the engine to anything above 8500 anyways and I already have some timing keys I plan on using to advance the timing. Good to know about the grinding though I will have to make sure I do that.

GustoGuy

So this is kinda a continuation of my last post, but to summarize it for my senior project I'm highly modifying a Predator 212 engine and putting it on a Baja Doodlebug bike. So far I have bought the engine and clutch as well as some other parts to freshen up the bike and have installed it all. Now that the stock engine is installed, and I have done all my testing, and data collection I am buying parts I'm going to need for my modifications.

I found a deal for an ARC rod and flat head piston that I will buy, but I still need to get a billet flywheel so it doesn't explode at 9k rpm. I found a couple on Amazon for around $50 that say they handle up to 10k rpm but I want to make sure they actually can so has anyone had any experience with these Amazon flywheels or is the ARC flywheel the only real one that I can trust.

I would really like to avoid having to pay $140 for an ARC flywheel at all costs, but I can save up for it if I have to it will just push back the rest of my schedule a bit.

Amazon flywheel
A highly modified Predator 212cc on Baja DB30 with a 30 series tav will toss just about anyone off. A Baja warrior is a better bike to put a modified Predator 212cc on since it has a longer wheelbase and front suspension. I have a resto-mod Rupp Roadster 2 with a modified Predator 212 and my wife's nephew wheelied it over. He claims he drove a YZ 125cc dirt bike. It easy bike to ride as long as you don't gun it on tar or cement

SAS289

A highly modified Predator 212cc on Baja DB30 with a 30 series tav will toss just about anyone off. A Baja warrior is a better bike to put a modified Predator 212cc on since it has a longer wheelbase and front suspension. I have a resto-mod Rupp Roadster 2 with a modified Predator 212 and my wife's nephew wheelied it over. He claims he drove a YZ 125cc dirt bike. It easy bike to ride as long as you don't gun it on tar or cement
The project he is doing sounded like the focus was on gearing. Parameters mentioned was 25 mph and 6K RPM. The project could be done with a stock 212 with 4500 max RPM. No need for 8K RPM unless you are gearing for high road speeds.